Hydro Pro Sponge Filter Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How should I clean it? I mean, I know to use used aquarium water, but is there a non-intuitive way to remove the sponge from the base, or am I supposed to remove the entire base from the tank to clean the sponge? The filter didn't come with many instructions, and mostly didn't need complicated instructions, but this might've been useful to know.

Best practice can vary depending on the specific model you've got, whether you're using air or a pump, and whether you're using the inline airline coupler.. you should be able to split the filter body roughly in half (see photo), allowing you to easily slip the sponge off. These filters can have between 3 and 8 friction-fit joints, so what I do is epoxy some of these friction fittings, making it easier to partially disassemble them for cleaning.

hMY1m.jpg

Thank you! I was thinking there must've been a place where it could be disassembled as such, but I didn't want to possibly break the thing just guessing.

Back
Top Bottom