Hydrogen peroxide and high ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In this article, the writer claims that hydrogen peroxide can be more toxic to fish if ph of the tank is high.

I can't find any other mention of this, is it true?

Public Enemy #1: Black Brush Algae and how to fight it

I ask because I had some mysterious fish deaths some time ago, and now I wonder if it could have been related to me using hydrogen peroxide in the tank. I used the recommended dose and everything, thought I was being careful, but all my peppered cories died.

Sorry yes, it's rather buried. Under the Warning section it says :
h2o2: Warning to higher PH tanks, ie cichlid, It poses a greater danger to live stock at higher PH. Lower dose if you must use h2o2, otherwise go for excel/metricide.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tanks' pH is in the 8.2 - 8.4 range. I've used the normal treatment dosage without any deaths, but I also do a 50% PWC 30 mins afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I couldn't find much. Just one reference that it may lower ph. Guessing that is the extra H. I've had no troubles with spot treating.

Do you think the cories and h2o2 were related? Every so often I see it used on infections which seems a little last resort to me but I've never tried it on sick fish to really comment.

I was using h2o2 to treat for Algae. I have been assuming that the cories died because I underfed them, but it happened so suddenly right after the h2o2 treatment with no previous symptoms that when I read this, I wondered.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom