Hypersalinity Treatment info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCTFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need detailed information on hypersalinity treatment on FW fish. TIA.

BTW...it's for a 2,000 gallon system with a lingering ich problem...water quality is fine.

I've never heard of a hyposalinity treatment for FW fish...mainly because hyposalinity refers to 'below normal salinity in the water'...and FW fish have no salt in the water...thus any addition of salt would be hypersalinity for FW.

The only thing I can think of is you're asking about treating with salt for something like nitrite poisoning, or ich. is that it?

I was wondering about this, maybe you mean salt water baths, how much salt? According to one of my older books, 2 level teaspoons to a gal. Gradually over 24 build up to 4. If no improvement go to 6 if no signs of distress. Guppies and mollies can go higher. Aeration helps. At end of treatment slowly add frshwater until salt content is low before returning fish to aquarium.
I've been trying my own method of salt water bath treatments and they have worked very well, but only on fish that tollerate salt so far. I put the tank water in then salt in a plastic fish bag, dont shake, then add fish. The salt slowly disolves and doesnt stress the fish out, because it very slowly changes the salt level in the bag. I keep the fish bag in the aquarium to keep it the same temperature. One of my fish was very poorly recently and i thought he wasnt going to make it, i left him overnight in the bag, in the morning he looked much better. I added stresscoat in there too!

Malkore ... yes...sorry...I did mean hyper...not hypo...excuse me on that...fingers get dyslexic sometimes...LOL. I need something to guide me through a two thousand gallon system...FW that has a lingering ich problem. I've been recommended the hypersalinity (making sure I got that right). When I was gone for a few months because of surgery, the guys over at the store really let things go on the FW system and though the water quality is fine now (nitrates were high), the ich is still lingering. Can't have a store with empty tanks, know what I mean? Now that I'm back, I need to get this system back to normal as it was before surgery.

cougaran...I'll keep what you have on hand. I still would like to get some references. Thanks.

I have always used one tablespoon per 10 gallons in the presence of sensitive fish, like corys, and one tablespoon per 5 gallons otherwise, and the treatment should last about two weeks. I am sure I got this off the Krib somewhere sometime, but I don't have particular references for you. This is the standard therapy for ich.

I like to use sea salt that is somewhat fine grained for more accurate measurement, dissolved in water prior to introducing into the tank. Then you need to add this slowly over the course of about two days. Add additional salt only for new water added, not for evaporated water.

HTH

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm still open to any suggestions and references. Steve...good article. Thanks. I think we're going to start a hypersalinity treamtment in the next day or two. This will be interesting. Bossman is a bit skeptical on it but I think the treatment is worth the risk of losing some of the fish along the way. Hopefully the losses will be minimal.

Back
Top Bottom