I am ready to get started!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MF11189

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I am wanting to start a small aquarium for mainly some guppies and mollies. I have always had goldfish, and when I was younger had guppies, but now I want to start a small tank with them again. I was just wondering if anyone knows of some good trusty places to get these type of fish. I'm looking to get some healthy fish, and I don't know if I trust our local walmart. Also, and other info you could give me on having a tank in general would be great. I'm open to all info! Thanks bunches! :D

Do you have any local fish stores or pet stores? Check the local phone book for some pet stores. Also check Aquabid.com. Its like Ebay, but for aquarium/fish related stuff. I'd check the phone book first, so you can check out local places (not Walmart) and save yourself the shipping costs.

Ditto what JustOneMore20 said. Buying online imparts a rather large shipping cost because you have to overnight everything.

So how small is a small tank? I ask because some mollies (depends on species) get kind of large. Guppies should be okay in almost any size tanks though.

I just got a 55 gal tank with stand, lighting, pump, assorted rocks and plants, brand new test kit, food and lots of goodies from ebay for $125!

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, MF11189! :n00b:
Ebay, classifieds and Craig's List are great places to find used equipment, which usually means being able to afford a larger tank. Also read up on cycling your tank before adding fish (that article applies to both fresh and salt water). Unless you have an established tank; then you can get the bacteria needed from the old filter.

Thanks for all the help. We do have a local pet store, and I believe it is a very good one. We also have a very large Tropical Haven( a pet store) nearby also. I believe they have some great fish, but it is about an hour away. If I wanted to get fish from that far, how would I go about brining them home?

You should be Ok with an hours drive. If you want to be safe bring an insulated cooler to put the bag(s) of fish in and ask the store to put a max of 3 fish in each bag.

Back
Top Bottom