I am starting a new SW setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one question. I am starting a new SW setup. Why the RO/DI? Just for the initial filling and the addition due to evaporation? Or is it the water needs this purification all the time?

usmcmarc said:
I have one question. I am starting a new SW setup. Why the RO/DI? Just for the initial filling and the addition due to evaporation? Or is it the water needs this purification all the time?

RO/DI units attach to your house water line. They are only for water that you add to you tank. You usually set one up under a sink or to a house water line and use it to mix salt water and top off evaped water.

I am setting up a tank in my office at work. I only have access to city water in the building (I cant hook up a RO/DI here). What sould I do for water? As far as I can tell my options are:

1. City Water
2. Buying 30 Gal of distilled water form the supermarket
3. Buying the water that is for sale at the LFS (something like $20 for 5 gallons) It's supposed to be the "Perfect Water" for marine aquariums.

I hear Instant Ocean salt is the best you can get, any feedback on this?

Also, I got one of those 29gal Biocubes. How much live rock should I put in this tank (ie. how many pounds)?

My list so far:

-Oceanic BioCube 29 gal Nano Reef Bio Cube Aquarium w/ Stand
-Sapphire Aquatics Protein Skimmer for Oceanic BioCube Model BC29
-Pacific Coast CL-150 Micro Chiller. 150 watt Thermo electronic water chiller/heater
-Portable Refractometer
-OceanMaster Test Kit (Kit includes tests for pH, Alkalinity, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate)
-Calcium Test Kit

I like to premix my water for at least 24-48 hours before I add it to my tank. This helps the salt mix to dissolve, the pH and temp to get the same as my tank. This would also solve your "city water" problem.
I used to use IO salt and switched to Reef Crystals, this is a subject that lots of folks will have different experiences and opinions on.
I'm not sure if you will need a chiller. I would regulate the temp during the cycle, since you won't have anything living in the tank.
I am going to split your thread to it's own topic.

I wouldn't use city water as you are not sure what is in it. I agree with Roka. You'll hear many different opinions on salt. I too use Reef Crystals but there are many that swear by instant ocean. They'll probably chime in soon.

usmcmarc said:
3. Buying the water that is for sale at the LFS (something like $20 for 5 gallons) It's supposed to be the "Perfect Water" for marine aquariums.

That`s outrageous. I can get SW already made up for a dollar a gallon. At that price I would get the distilled water and mix in the salt yourself. As far as the salt alot of people on here have had problems with IO. Seems like they have had more problems with nuisance algeas. I use Oceanic and like the results but as Scott said you would get many answers if you asked which is the best. A good suggestin on LR would be 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon. I hope all goes well

If your going to get DI water from your LGS make sure its Steamed Distilled water.
Some DI water is ran through copper pipes and could transfer on to the final product.

You could also purchase a RO/DI unit for your home and simply bring water from home to work. A 5 gal bucket or 2 should do just fine for PWC. A couple extra for the inital start up.

Just ask for a print out of your city water (tap) make-up. I've always used city water (tap) and never had any issues, but that's me. IO user here.

madhatter208 said:
If your going to get DI water from your LGS make sure its Steamed Distilled water.
Some DI water is ran through copper pipes and could transfer on to the final product.

Just so there's no confusion to the original poster, DI (deionized) water and distilled water are two totally different things. You either get one, or the other. And just because it's distilled, doesn't mean it isn't run through copper pipes.

I would get the ro/di unit for your house put under sink get the drinking water attachment above and also hook it to your refrigerator for the ice and water there, makes a huge difference, as good if not better than bottled water. Then buy a few 5 gallon water bottles the type you see on office water coolers. you can get these empty at walmart cheap, and just bring the water from the house when needed.

Thanks for all the input. I figured out the water thing, we have a local water place that sells RO/DI water for $ .50/gal. So thats one problem solved. (LFS guy actually told me about them, after I mentioned buying his $25 for 4.4 gal water. Guess he's not that bad)

As for the salt, It's looking like Reef Crystals is getting the majority of the votes. Although, Oceanic may be the way to go...An oceanic system = oceanic salt? ;)

Guy at LFS said 1lb of LR per gallon..so maybe I'll start with 30 lbs, and if it doesnt look too cluttered, I'll add some more. Of coarse now its a decision between what kind of LR (Java, Tongo, blah, blah, blah). LFS wants $8.99/lb for Java, and $14.99/lb for the other types. I have to admit, the LR they have looks good, lots of growth and organisms.

I paid 8.99 a lb for my two hundred pounds. I have Fiji, Tonga and Marshall island rock. You would get it cheaper online. You would need to cycle your tank and cure the LR at the same time in the tank.

OK..I got my substrate today. I'm going to mix CaribSea Aragonite (Reef Sand) and Coraline (Looks like smashed up shells). Sine the BioCube has no undergravel filter, LFS suggested 1 inch deep.

What should my pH and Specific Gravity be? I have a Refractometer so I can get pretty accurate.

I keep reading about this thing called the S-15 Report. Says IO and Reef Crystals are crap, and that the best salt is "Marine Environment dual phase" ...Is this report legit? I get the feeling its something that just makes a certain brand look good.

That report is probably owned by the person that owns that salt. If you ask what is the best salt you`ll get 100 different answers. IMO and only my opinion I like Oceanic. Keeps Calcium where it needs to be with only frequent PWC`s. But I am sure there are others that have better experiences.

I just started a thread in the SW reef aquaria forum on what salt people use and why. Keep an eye out on that thread to help you make an informed discission.

I started to use water from the super market, until I found out that some add minerals to improve the flavor after filtering.

The first time I filled my 180 I made a deal with a LFS. 150 GAL for $40.00 of course I picked up some salt (Oceanic) and other supplies too.

Back
Top Bottom