i cant believe that!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
I went to a very known and popular fish store to pick up a battery operated air pump.... I was talking to a guy about water changes etc.... He told me to do 50 % of water changes one per month .... That's can't be right, can it .... 50 percent only?!?!?! I do 50 % weekly..... Please, someone reply so I know I am right.....

ROFL, 50% monthly water changes is how things used to be, and still are done in some circles. Most people on here recommend and do weekly water changes of large volume.

It all depends on your tank. It might work. Most tanks require more frequent water changes though. IMO, it's best to do weekly water changes. I do 50% weekly... or close to it.

I never do 50%!! I do 25-30% once or twice a week, depends on how much they get fed! Lol The only time I have ever been told to do 50% was when a fish died and then another died you get the idea lol

Where I work, I generally tell people to do around 25% a week, or 50% every two weeks, if they have like tropical community fish. 50% a week is best for goldfish and messy eaters, like certain cichlids.

Or at least, thats my general opinion.

I do at least 70% weekly in one tank (3 oscars and a Pleco! Messy buggers) and about 15% weekly in my reef tank.

like others said, it seems to vary. Some Densly planted and lightly stocked tanks, you only need to change the water once a month. While i've heard some people with large Discus tanks have to change 50% daily.

The water never needs to be changed. The H2O is exactly the same from one day to the next and from one year to the next. Now taking out chemicals and minerals I don't want, and putting in ones I do occurs around the clock and is often looked after and checked. Some times that requires that I exchange a some of the water as well.

I have to agree it depends on the type of fish & how heavily you are stocked. Goldfish are very messy thus i do 50-70% 2x a wk (and i am understocked & overfiltered). Many serious goldfish breeders do 100% water changes daily!! Atleast 50% weekly is a good general guideline to follow for breeds with a lighter bioload and to re-establish the buffers needed for nitritfication/prevent a ph swing.

I've heard of people doing water changes once or twice a month (or even almost never). I personally wouldn't do it; I do two 5-7 gal changes per week (20 gal tank).

My params are always 0,0, 10-20 so there are no issues with my water, however, I can see how animated the fish get when new water is added. Perhaps it's just their response to the act of changing the water, but I prefer to think of them as really enjoying splashing around because it's fresh water. :oops:

What I am driving at here is I think it is important to understand the 'why' of water changes rather then just doing them by rote or recommendation.

That said, I will likely be doing weekly 50% on my planted tank since I believe I am moving to EI dosing. Taking some stuff out will require a weekly change.

My other 'main' tank is still fishless cycling and I will have to get it loaded up for a bit before I work out a routine.

As others have said, depends on bio-load, filtration, and other parameters.

Get a test kit and chart out water parameters before and after changes. You'll see a pattern that works best for your tank. Each tank may be different.

Or you can do it the easy way and do 50% PWC each week... ;)

Me, I don't like doing water changes so I automated it. :rolleyes:

To be perfectly honest, I would only second-guess myself if the vast majority of folks on the forums I visit vetoed whatever it was. I don't give most lfs (minus one lfs) the time of day when it comes to advice or instruction.

Back
Top Bottom