I don’t think my 55 gallon tank has ever cycled in 1 year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your pH is dropping because there isnt enough carbonate hardness (KH). The microbes responsible for the cycle use KH in the process of turning ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. The crushed coral is adding KH as it slowly disolves, but it is being used by the nitrogen cycle quicker than it is going into the water from the crushed coral. From your post #5 you said that the crushed coral wasnt working so you started to mix in baking soda with your water and that seemed to be working at keeping your pH higher. Presumably you stopped doing adding baking soda with your water changes.

The natural processes in aquariums tend to make water more acidic. KH in the water absorbs acid, so it will raise your pH, and prevent that natural acidification happening. Adding KH is called buffering as it creates a buffer against acid. Once KH is used up the buffering stops and those natural processes will acidify the water and your pH will start to drop. Thats what you are seeing. And as said, the microbes need KH to turn ammonia onto nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. So when KH gets depleted the nitrogen cycle stops functioning. This is what happened in your tank before you started to add the baking soda, and why your tank didnt cycle.

But also, as we said, ammonia isnt toxic in acidic water, so while the nitrogen cycle doesnt function at low pH, it doesnt matter. You dont need to cycle an aquarium with a pH as low as 6.

If you are no longer going to buffer the water you dont need to cycle the aquarium. You say your fish where happy and healthy. If you want a higher pH, you need to continue adding the baking soda to a level you are happy with, that will raise both the pH and KH and allow your tank to cycle properly.

Whats probably happening is that the crushed coral is adding a little KH, which is being used up cycling the tank, so you are seeing some nitrite, but it quickly gets used up which could prevent your aquarium cycling properly and is causing that pH to keep dropping.
I took all crush coral out two weeks ago, I had a small bad in one of my tidal 110’’’s and 1 big bag laying in tank .. so not what would you start doing now to cycle this tank. !?

I took all crush coral out two weeks ago, I had a small bad in one of my tidal 110’’’s and 1 big bag laying in tank .. so not what would you start doing now to cycle this tank. !?
If you think I need to raise my ph I can add just a little bit of baking soda to not raise it to fast and see what it it tomorrow and the next day.

Or I have Thé crushed coral that’s already been in my tank !?

Yes, I only dosed backing soda 1 time before I contacted you guys nothing sence.

This is why we always say its better to keep fish that suit the water, rather than trying to make the water suit the fish. Mucking about with water chemistry almost always makes things worse.

If it where me, and your fish where happy and healthy i would have just left things be. You didnt need to cycle the aquarium. A better option would be to keep fish that suit soft, acidic water, but given the rainbow fish where doing fine, i would have just left be.

If you plan on cycling the tank even though it doesn't really need to be cycled, you need to get your KH and pH up.

Crushed coral and cuttlefish bone are both calcium carbonate and will do this and also increase general hardness (GH). Its not going to make an overnight difference. Its going to disolve slowly and might take weeks before you see any difference. Youve tried crushed coral and wasnt happy with the outcome.

An alkaline buffer like Seachem Alkaline Buffer will increase KH and pH without effecting GH. You say you tried a buffer and it didnt work, but you didnt say which one you tried.

Baking soda will increase pH and KH without effecting GH, but it will also add sodium. Sodium isnt good for a lot of fish species, but rainbow fish are probably going to be fine, and they showed no bad reaction from it when you used it before. Baking soda is the only thing you tried that you was happy with.

Given that, add a little baking soda, gradually bring your pH to where you want it.

This is why we always say its better to keep fish that suit the water, rather than trying to make the water suit the fish. Mucking about with water chemistry almost always makes things worse.

If it where me, and your fish where happy and healthy i would have just left things be. You didnt need to cycle the aquarium. A better option would be to keep fish that suit soft, acidic water, but given the rainbow fish where doing fine, i would have just left be.

If you plan on cycling the tank even though it doesn't really need to be cycled, you need to get your KH and pH up.

Crushed coral and cuttlefish bone are both calcium carbonate and will do this and also increase general hardness (GH). Its not going to make an overnight difference. Its going to disolve slowly and might take weeks before you see any difference. Youve tried crushed coral and wasnt happy with the outcome.

An alkaline buffer like Seachem Alkaline Buffer will increase KH and pH without effecting GH. You say you tried a buffer and it didnt work, but you didnt say which one you tried.

Baking soda will increase pH and KH without effecting GH, but it will also add sodium. Sodium isnt good for a lot of fish species, but rainbow fish are probably going to be fine, and they showed no bad reaction from it when you used it before. Baking soda is the only thing you tried that you was happy with.

Given that, add a little baking soda, gradually bring your pH to where you want it.
Ok, I’m going to only dose 1/3 of what I doesd before, and we will see what happens tomorrow, thanks again for your patience and knowledge with me, much appreciated! ❤️

After only adding 1 teaspoon of backing soda yesterday and know water change this is what my parameters are today. What to to moving forward to finally get this tank fully cycled.

Nitrate - 0 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Ammonia - 0.50 ppm

Ph - over 7.3 ppm

Attachments

• IMG_5007.jpeg
    IMG_5007.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 8
Today everything is about the same as yesterday’s except my ammonia went up.

I’m nedding to top off because my water is getting low, if not top off should I do a water change if so how much !?

Attachments

• IMG_5014.jpeg
    IMG_5014.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 4
Its up to you if you do a water change or just top up. If you are topping up with tap water you still need to use water conditioner.
Yes, I understand that if I top off, but what would you do top off with prime or do a small water change and how much !?

Prime is a water conditioner. If you are topping up using tap water use a water conditioner.

Its really up to you if you top up or do a water change. You don't need to do water change, but if you want to do one thats fine. Whatever is your preference.

Prime is a water conditioner. If you are topping up using tap water use a water conditioner.

Its really up to you if you top up or do a water change. You don't need to do water change, but if you want to do one thats fine. Whatever is your preference.
I’m just going to top off at this point and add my prime into bucket and let it seat for 30 minutes before topping off.

I’m just going to top off at this point and add my prime into bucket and let it seat for 30 minutes before topping off
Forgot to tell you th
I’m just going to top off at this point and add my prime into bucket and let it seat for 30 minutes before topping off.
i forgot to tell you my tank is 100% clear now.

Keep doing water changes to prevent ammonia and nitrite exceeding 0.5ppm. Dont let your pH into the low 6s. Thats all there is to it. It takes time.

You first posted 2 or 3 weeks ago. It could easily take another 8 or 10 weeks. The fritz product might speed things up, it might not. There is no guaranteed short cut. You have already tried one of their products and it did nothing.

This is all about patience. Your tank will cycle given enough time, and in the meantime do your water changes to keep the water quality good enough to not kill your fish.

Keep doing water changes to prevent ammonia and nitrite exceeding 0.5ppm. Dont let your pH into the low 6s. Thats all there is to it. It takes time.

You first posted 2 or 3 weeks ago. It could easily take another 8 or 10 weeks. The fritz product might speed things up, it might not. There is no guaranteed short cut. You have already tried one of their products and it did nothing.

This is all about patience. Your tank will cycle given enough time, and in the meantime do your water changes to keep the water quality good enough to not kill your fish.
How much water change you suggest today please !?

Its difficult to read tests from a photo. The colours will look different when viewed on different devices. If your ammonia or nitrite is 1ppm, a 50% water change will bring it down to 0.5ppm. Its something you really need to work out for yourself.

Remember that your pH will drop when you do a water change because your tap water is soft acidic water, and you want harder, basic water. So you need to monitor your pH after your water change to see if you need to add more baking soda to get the pH and carbonate back up.

Your test appears to be ammonia at 1ppm, and nitrite at 0.25ppm. So if thats the case a 50% water change.

Its difficult to read tests from a photo. The colours will look different when viewed on different devices. If your ammonia or nitrite is 1ppm, a 50% water change will bring it down to 0.5ppm. Its something you really need to work out for yourself.

Remember that your pH will drop when you do a water change because your tap water is soft acidic water, and you want harder, basic water. So you need to monitor your pH after your water change to see if you need to add more baking soda to get the pH and carbonate back up.

Your test appears to be ammonia at 1ppm, and nitrite at 0.25ppm. So if thats the case a 50% water change.
Just done 50 % water change.

Back
Top Bottom