I don't trust heaters! Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirensEye00

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the best brand of heater out there? A few years ago, I had a heater spontaneously heat to about 100 degrees or so and kill my angel fish :(

So at this point, I am a little bit reluctant about the one we have in our ten gallon. There is no range of settings on it, and I am pretty worried about leaving the house and coming back to find dead fish everywhere. So, if anyone has any recommendations on a brand of heater, or any other suggestions about the topic, feel free to comment :D

I use a fluval e300 and another heater I'm not quite sure of the brand name, but the fluval is easy to control

IMO the best heater is the aqueon pro heaters. They keep the temperature closest to what it is set at, and are hard to break. I also like the lights it has to tell me if it is at the right temperature or too hot or cold.

The same thing happened to me! Except water got inside and zapped them all. It was a topfin glass heater. I now have aqeuon pro in both my tanks and love them with no problems yet. My temp is always at a steady 80degrees. Just dont be cheap when selecting one!

I heard get 2 titanium heaters, that way your safe from failure in two ways. One being that titanium transfers heat well, is extremly strong, and resists corrosion. Another is with 2 heaters if one does happen to fail then the other will keep your tank at a decent temp until you figure out that the heater has failed, and replace it.
So if you need a 200w heater then get 2 100w titanium heaters.

Thats another scary thought lol. I have been looking at a few on amazon and I like fluval, just don't like the idea of spending 30 bucks or so. But I guess for security, I probably will lol.

I, too, am having a tough time with heaters... My first one mysteriously exploded one night so I opted for an aqueon 300. So far so good!

I think aqueon pro has a titanium core. And if you mount your heater horizintally towards the bottomof your aquarium in an area with good flow, this is the most efficient way to mount it and can also help avoid a failure. Also do not leave it on if the water level will be below it. (I think the aqueon pro has an automatic safety shutoff)
Not saying its best heater, just saying what i know from my experience with it. My opinion is limited as its really the only one ive tried other than the fish frier.

Eheim's Jagers r grt heater too. if u hav big guys in ur tank and u r worrying bout I'll say googled on this for a while. Grt heater so far.here's a link for u. Hope this helps
www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_24552_ehen

Yeah I use Eheims and the only problem I've ever had with them was cleverly not noticing my water change brought the water lower than the heater :facepalm:.

Minor miracle I didn't kill all my fish.

Eheim Jagers are the best I've used. If they're not going to the exact temp that you set it at, you can actually calibrate it so that it will go the right temp once you set it.

aqua_chem said:
Eheim Jagers are the best I've used. If they're not going to the exact temp that you set it at, you can actually calibrate it so that it will go the right temp once you set it.

I want to try this kind for the next heater I buy.

SirensEye00 said:
Thanks everybody! Heading to the pet store now, :D

What kind are you getting? Usually Aqueon Pro heaters are cheaper on Amazon.com. I am not sure about the shrimp jagers, though...

i really like fluvals they are pretty powerful and very accurate, and dont look too ugly in a tank, they one in my 75 gallon is pretty good too, i think its marineland or something like that, just make sure you go up a size when heating your tank because most of the time the recommended size wont cut it, and you will be over working your heater which is more likely to cause a failure or malfunction

a.tetreault said:
i really like fluvals they are pretty powerful and very accurate, and dont look too ugly in a tank, they one in my 75 gallon is pretty good too, i think its marineland or something like that, just make sure you go up a size when heating your tank because most of the time the recommended size wont cut it, and you will be over working your heater which is more likely to cause a failure or malfunction

I think marineland is the other one I have too, and the fluval is the one I like so much.

I got my aqueon pro from petsolutions for 18.00 I saw the same one at petco for 62.99. Can you say ripoff? ??????

Back
Top Bottom