I don't want to transfer algae to my new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I want to re use my 50 pounds of live rock from my current tank in my new tank. I don't want any of the algae coming over though, I have some hair algae here and there.

Whats teh best way to kill it? Should I dip the rock in hydrogen peroxide and then put them in a tub of salt water in the dark for a month? I'm not worried that my live rock becomes dead rock or anything, I just really want it clean.

Suggestions?

I've been using peroxide in a tub for the last week. The dip I find works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dipped 1 rock in a 50:50 peroxide / FW mix for about 2 minutes. Algae turned white and is coming off in the darkened curing bucket.
Killed lots of brittle stars and bristle worms, but I think that was from the FW not peroxide.
I'm also testing pulling 1 rock out of the water and squirting 4 ml of peroxide on the algae. I keep it out of the water for 5 minutes then put it, and any latent peroxide back in the curing bucket with other rocks and 15 gals of SW. (That is about 2.5 ml peroxide to 10 gal SW).
Algae is dying and stars, worms and snails don't seem affected.

When I did my dip I didn't have any mixed water on hand. Now I'm dosing, but yeah, dip in a SW : peroxide mix.

Will be ok to dip rocks from tank and rinse good before putting back in tank.

Peroxide doesn't last long in a water mixture. It quickly breaks down into water. No need to rinse it, simply dip it for about 5 minutes, then put back in the tank.

Cool thanks

I'm wondering why not just put the rock in the new tank that has new water there wouldn't be any nutrition (nitrates/nitrogen) for the algae to feed on via the new tank is just starting to cycle. Am I wrong in this train of thought?? Thanks all

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah, because I have like 100 pounds of liverock in there right now and the cycle started yesterday. So I'm cycling for a month or so, then slowly transfereing my fish and coral onto the rock thats in there. Then, when the old tank is empty other than the rock, I will kill the algea on the old rock before putting it in. I can't transfer it over now, its covered in coral that can't move over. i want this old rock CLEAN. Like not one stupid hair of algae moving to the new pristine tank...:)

Oh I see, got alot more working for you than I knew thanks and Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom