I got a 50' python for christmas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The local Petsmart has Python's on sale this month, the 25 and 50 ft only. I need about 35ft. Would the 50 be over kill? Messier or harder to deal with? Couldn't I get an extension for the 25 footer? Or would that cause possible leaking problems? Many of my tanks are higher, and trying to lift the buckets without spilling is difficult.

I want to drain the water into the bathtub, 1) so I can close the drain and rescue anyone *I have kuhli loaches, baby snails and shrimp* and 2) because I think it would overflow my sink.

One of my questions is about the connector. It looks like it will only fit a kitchen sink thin type faucet. ????? So could I thus NOT use it in the bathtub? I thought I read that you need the water on to get the suction started...

Please advise.
Thanks in advance.... *the sale is for another week and a half*

anybody have any sugguestions on the above python questions? Please...

If I were you I would get the 50. Extension might work fine, but the more connections, the more possible leaks could occur. If you find the 50 to be way too long you could always cut a section out.

As for the faucet, if the standard fitting does not fit you can take it and the cap from the bath tub fixture to a hardware store and find an adaptor. I had to do this myself.

I would not worry about the bathtub thing. By time they get through the hose and the end cap on the python I dont think they will be in great shape anyway.

Musket said:
I want to drain the water into the bathtub, 1) so I can close the drain and rescue anyone *I have kuhli loaches, baby snails and shrimp* and 2) because I think it would overflow my sink.

I also worried about some fish being sucked into it. Just go to a store where the sell fabric and buy some tulle. The usually sell it by 1/2 yard or whatever. I bought 1/2 yard for like $.50 or something. Just take it and wrap it around the suction end to keep small fish from entering. The holes are still big enough to let mulm and such through for the most part. Or the same can be done if you have a old net lying around.

However it may not be small enough though to stop baby shrimp or snail from going through.

cheesecloth or muslin or even surgical gauze would probably work really well also

It was mentioned to bring the airater part of the spicket to a hardware store to match it up with an adaptor. However, the bathtub fixture does not have this. I wonder if they still make those big flexy nozzle covers that attach to a showerhead looking thing with teeth you can use to wash and rinse your dog, cat, or yourself.... That might work and then get an adaptor for the two hoses.... If necessary.. IF they even make those types of things anymore. Any other suggestions on this part?

Thanks for those material suggestions, I'll try to find one of the above fabrics to cover the end of my NEW PYTHON!
Yes, I bite the price bullet and got one. But you will all be Very Proud of me. I did some research.. having read that Petco price matches their internet, I checked the price at Petsmart (where the 50 footer is currently on sale for $55. That's $10 off the regular price and 20 off another reputable fish store I like to go to). When I asked them if they could price match, he said "No, not on those" Then he asked what price I found..... Ready? Are you secure in your chair? $38.69. Yup !!!!! a 50 footer for $38.69. Petsmart matches their internet prices too.. Just bring in the printout. I am so happy!!!!!
I want my husband to help me with it the first time, make sure it doesn't fall out of the sink or tub or overflow or spray or whatever else it might do that I can't see from the other end, until I get used to it... :) Probably tomorrow after he gets home from work. We are relocating one of the tanks, that will be good practice.

$38.69 is a great price for sure. I don't know how much my friend paid but he said he first got me the 25' one at walmart which I think sells for about $40. Then he found the 50' online somewhere for the same price with free shipping. I promise you will LOVE it. That is if you can hook it up somewhere in your house :lol: .

[quote="Peyton" I promise you will LOVE it. That is if you can hook it up somewhere in your house :lol: .[/quote]

hhahhahahahaha yeah. Gunna work on that tonight :)
I stayed up all night putting the new 28g bow together. Yup, with a bucket. I just added another bag of "Seachem's Onyx fractured porous substrate" to the tank. I got a whole bunch of tiger vals (a really huge one) and some corkscrew vals and 2 others I can't remember the name (look sword-ish) and a red rubin sword. My driftwood is soaking and I'm sorting through my big rocks. I transferred 2 filters to it last night and my snails (p. brigs) and a few other big rocks and plants . Everything is looking good so far :) eehhh... I love new tanks....

I may do a partial water change on it just to play with my python. I let you know how it goes.... cross your fingers. :)

Musket said:
looking good so far :) eehhh... I love new tanks....

:D I think I know what you mean about new tanks. I have fun just setting them up and building the aquascape :lol: . Its real easy to get a full blown case of MTS like that though :) .

Two quick comments:

- My faucet piece sprayed water all over at first. All I had to do to fix the problem was tighten the plastic connector a bit more. I have the brass fitting; maybe that makes a difference.

- I agree with the others on the value of them. I got the 25' version. It's the best $27 (from Big Al's Online) I ever spent on fish supplies.

Well, I only used it once and have a few issues maybe you guys and gals can lend a hand with.
The first thing is a positive, in that the inflow of water is slow * a bit too slow, however * that makes it nice for my tanks with eco complete. It doesn't make my tank black and cloudy which always bothered me and the thought og "what is it doing to my fish!!" So on that note I was pleased. WHich just means it will do the same in my other tanks, no more having to replant an area due to bucket water pressure. YES!

Okay, my issues... My "valve switch" area leaks! So I'm standing there at the tank, my husband in the kitchen, I call over to switch it from drain to fill. My water starts to fill the tank, slowly, but it is filling.. Not rustling up all the decor... Yeah!!!! Hummm, why is my foot getting damp? looks down, takes a step over-squish, my sock is all wet.. (I hate that).
My valve area is leaking slowly. grabs the little towel and tightens both sides. No good. Wraps towel around dripping area... Okay. tank is near full.... If this leaks now, it will spray all over if I close it to try to bring the thing back to the sink...... hummm.... "Honey!!" I call, "turn off the water..." 3 hours later (never reading the directions) How do I get the water out of the hose? I hold the wrapped hose in my one arm, drape the suction area over my other into the sink (so no residual soap contact - just in case) and blow as hard as I can to force the water through... hahahahaha It worked a little. I should have warned you to hold the chair maybe???? Just picture this 5' 3.75" girl with the thing all wrapped and draped around her blowing into the faucet end of a 50' python to get the water out... hahahaha.... SO, I take it into the bathroom, stand on the toilet, drape the "suction" end over the shower curtain rod, lift the coils over my head and drain some more.... This is ridiculous! There has got to be an easier way to drain this thing..... So my husband comes in to help. Then says, I bet you can reverse the thing so it drains it out of the tubing for you..... hummmm... rewraps the uncoiled sections and lays it on a towel.. Sits on the couch and finds the directions.. hum... sounds like that is what you do..... Will HAVE to try that next time. :)
Still unsure how one person is supposed to be able to do this... Turn on water, set temp through drain feature, have "valve" turned off, switch to fill, run like a mad hatter to the tank, open leaking valve to fill tank, close valve and run to kitchen to turn it off.... Leaking and dripping in both directions...... ????? I can't leave the hose on and running into the tank and run to turn off the water either because it will fall out...... HELP!

I did unscrew both sides of the "problem" area, looked around, did not disconnect anything, then reattached both sides (hopefully stronger). I must admit, I did not *having not read the directions yet* want to test my new connection and have to redrain the monster.
Any suggestions? Is there a clip of some sort that we can use to attch the python to the tank so that it doesn't fall out as the water rises? Thanks in advance - hope you got a chuckle or two from my adventure. :)

To drain mine I take the suction end out of the tank throw it over my shoulder and walk toward the direction of the sink while picking up the hose. Just watch the water level in the hose to make sure your not moving too fast (you don't want the water to get in the section of hose behind you). Then work your way to the sink. I didn't read the directions that good either so there could be a better way.

I don't even fool with the on/off valve on the suction end, just leave it in the on position. Just keep an eye on the water level and when it's drained down enough go to the sink and adjust the temp of the water. Then set the switch to fill. Wait till the aquarium is almost topped off, giving yourself enough time to walk to your sink, then turn the water off (at the sink).

If the connections are leaking that bad though maybe try a little teflon tape on the threads.

how does your tank end not fall out of the tank as the water gets higher? Do you have to put the whole switch valve portion in the tank as well? Mine got heavy and tried to fall out of the tank when I let go of it.
If it is still leaking next time I try it, I will do the teflon plumbers tape thing. Great idea, thanks. I briefly thought of it then forgot.

Musket said:
how does your tank end not fall out of the tank as the water gets higher? Do you have to put the whole switch valve portion in the tank as well? Mine got heavy and tried to fall out of the tank when I let go of it.
If it is still leaking next time I try it, I will do the teflon plumbers tape thing. Great idea, thanks. I briefly thought of it then forgot.

I got one of those walmart fold up chairs that I use to let the valve rest in. I'm thinking about getting a hook to hang it on though. Like what you would use for hanging baskets.

That's an idea. My husband has a plastic hoop he hung on the side of his desk to rest his headphones on. It cost $1.50. It's wide enough that it just might work too.

I just bought at 50 footer at Petsmart today too for 38.69...I always print out prices..I got the API test kit for 13 something there..great deal..Anyway used it on my 60 gallon and a 10 gallon..was amazing how easy it worked...Then after I finished I hit my tanks with Prime n I was set...

Back
Top Bottom