I got a great idea but will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
This afternoon i was just laying in my bed thinking there has to be a way i can hold a ton of fry without having all these tanks. So i came up with the idea of using a plastic 55 gallon drum. I would cut the top off and fill it with water put a filter on it with a heater and air stone. Let me know if you guys think it would work? It would also be in my basement so it wouldn't get to cold during the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it may work if you can keep the water quality up. There are some very large breeders who keep their fish in total darkness and only turn lights on when they need to do something in the room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd like to keep it upright and cut the top straight off to use it that way. And then rig up a filter and stuff

I meant keep the water quality good as in well maintained. What kind of filter were you thinking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

What's the point? What type of fry? You want to mass produce profit? Food? Viewing will be tough (splendor and illnes) unless you have a specific goal in place than this sounds like stream lined hoarding to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A new clean 55g barrel will cost more then a 55g aquarium right now?
It is not just volume of water ,but surface area that matters for heavy stocking situations.
I don't think the barrel is a good plan IMO?
What kind of fry???

A new clean 55g barrel will cost more then a 55g aquarium right now?
It is not just volume of water ,but surface area that matters for heavy stocking situations.
I don't think the barrel is a good plan IMO?
What kind of fry???

True!! Just bought a BRUTE 50 gal and it was $60...

I have 9 55 gallon drums sitting at my grandpas house and it would be for guppy fry

Yah but why all the guppys?

It's a popular first time buy I would think, not expensive for the first set up........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom