I got a little excited about my 1st aquarium and made mistakes, looking for advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fhbob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a 10 gallon with filter, heater, and air pump a few days agp and 4 small goldfish (I know this was a bad idea now), I just bought the cheap 25 cent goldfish because I figured they might die (based on previous experience as a child). I cleaned the tank and everything going in it then added water to my tank (well water, no chlorine) gravel, and a few plants. I then put the 4 fish in.
After about 48 hours 3 had already died. I then got online and started reading up and discovered tank cycling. I am trying to do that now, and speed up the process by adding some gravel to the filter that I was given from the pet store aquarium.
My questions are would an ammonia build-up have killed my goldfish after only 2 days or what else could have caused it? I don't want to have had sick fish from the start and now my tank is somehow contaminated. Also is there anything I can do to save the last guy who seems to still be going strong?
And lastly, the tank came with one of those stick on thermometers and no instructions on where to put it. Well I put it on the inside, under the water, and now I know it was supposed to go outside the tank. I am going to peel it off and use a razor blade to scrape off the glue residue when I get home, but will the thermometer have leeched anything dangerous into the water, and will it be very bad if any of the glue residue gets in the water when I peel it off?
I'm sorry, I'm just totally new to aquariums and now that I have been reading up for the past day or 2 I really want to do this right especially before I put any fish in there more expensive thana gold fish.
Also when it comes to water testing, how accurate are the 5-in-1 test strips? Should I get a pack of those while I try to cycle my tank or should I just go for the API Freshwater Master TestKit?

:welcome: to the forum!

Goldfish can be pretty messy - and especially with 4 in a 10 gallon tank, I'd be willing to bet the ammonia did build up that quickly. Since the goldfish were only .25, I assume they were feeder goldfish - commons. Commons can get quite large, and really only belong in ponds IMO, so your best bet would probably be to re-home the current goldfish, and re-start with fish that are better suited for a 10 gallon.

As for the thermometer adhesive - I highly doubt it is toxic to your fish, although I still would try to scrape off as much as possible.

I would go for the API liquid freshwater master test kit. They are much more accurate than the test strips, and considering how long the tests last, in the end they turn out to be more economical as well.

It's all right to ask lots of questions - we all have to start somewhere!

Thanks for the reply! Im somewhat relieved to know you think it's just the normal ammonia build-up. Until I can re-home the little guy would the best way to keep him alive be to do frequent partial water changes to lower the ammonia in the tank.

Also, I know from doing some reading that "Instant" cycle products don't really work, but do the pro-biotic products sold at my local pet store help to speed up the cycle process whatsoever?

Until you can get the fish re-homed, the name of the game is water change, water change, water change. Ideally, you want the ammonia and nitrites to be below .25 ppm. This may take multiple water changes each day with the bio-load you have.

Some people have gotten bacteria-in-a-bottle products to work, others haven't. If you were to get one though, your best bet would probably be Tetra SafeStart.

Alright I'll be changing the water frequently until I can get him returned/rehomed.

For a 10 you would want to go with nano fish, such as:
Ember tetras
Clestial Pearl Danios
Chili rasboras
and a few more.

Back
Top Bottom