I got new bulbs, should I return them for something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I just replaced some bulbs that were in my 55 gallon, It houses two 18inch 15w bulbs, for a total of 30w. The ones that were in it didn't specify anything other than 15w, aqua rays, made by GE. So I went to see what I could by to replace them as my plants are not thriving. (Anubias, Java fern, and Java Moss, not dying, but not really growing either)

This is what I got, tell me if I did wrong, cause I can and will take them back.

Tropic sun 5500k Daylight T8 bulbs, still each 15w. So then I wondered if this is even an upgrade or not? I saw 6500k bulbs, but she didn't recomend them if you have fish? What do you think? I suppose I could return them and get a whole new unit for the HO bulbs, but as I understand it, I wouldn't need HO for my plants anyways?

Thanks for your help again!!

Mary :)

Fish don't care what color light they have. I could orange and purple lights and it'd be fine. I'd have some confused fish at first but it'd be fine. Hundreds of planted tank owners use 6500k bulbs. I have 6700k bulbs and my fish have bred and are going strong.

I'm afraid for any substantive gains you're going to need a higher wattage fixture. Shop lights from the home depot or lowes are a cheap alternative and can be shoehorned into attractive tops or drilled for hanging above the tank.

The plants you listed are already slow growing plants. Low light simply means instead of a leaf per 1- 2 weeks in a high light tank, a leaf per 3 weeks to a month.

Again, more evidence that you shouldn't listen to anything they tell you at your petco. Agree 100% with crepe's post.

5500k is a little low, I like a little more blue peaks. For plants you want anything 6500k-10000k. If you want substantial gains it will require upgrading your fixture. Somewhere around twice as powerful as your current fixture would be great for a low light tank.

Back
Top Bottom