I have $75 bucks, and I want a couple of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I've got so far:

"Get a rig from craiglist that is 20 or larger. Get it all cleaned up and running, and add 2-5 (?fish?). Change the water at least twice a week or more for the first month."

Craigslist can be good but it can also be inheriting somebody elses problems.
I would tell a beginner to go buy a 20 gallon tank/hood/light combo at petsmart, then hit amazon for a cheap filter and a quality heater. Then add a few live plants (helps make the tank more forgiving to forgotten water changes)

The cleaning of old tanks is a pain. I dumped 5 gallon of water on my floor a couple of weeks ago. The upside to craigslist though is that the tank normally comes with "extras" that people would buy anyway.

If they are buying used they need to check for leaks. I'd say no less than a week with the filter running.

I've known people leave a tank sit with no filter for a week and see no leaks. As soon as the added a HOB the vibration from it wiggled thugs just enough to cause a major leak.

I'm with ya on the goldfish. Good suggestions all around, why are we advising against fish that breed? That's kind of neat for the beginner. Platies, and guppies are fun to watch breed. I'm hot into Danios, but that's my own crazy. Hardy little buggers though. I spilled a beer into a fry bucket and they were fine.

Totally random, but the fact that you spilled your beer into your fry bucket just makes me want to be your friend! Ha ha ha

Why would you make your kids work for something you could give it to them as a birthday gift

You need to make sure your children do lots of reading about anything they get into not just fish

By reading up on stuff it also gives you the chance to read up on the hobby too

All depending on the age of your children if they are young it's best if you read up first then pass on what you have learned

I'm with ya on the goldfish.

Good suggestions all around, why are we advising against fish that breed? That's kind of neat for the beginner. Platies, and guppies are fun to watch breed.

Well, this depends on who this tank is for. A child? Not sure if mom and dad want to explain the 'birds and the bees' to a four year old yet. With an older child, trying to explain death (some fry will inevitably die) may not be a subject a parent wishes to tackle either. I am pretty sure the parent does not want to consider multiple additional tanks to house the fry as well.

Child or adult, the prospect of what to do with all the fry has to be considered. For someone with their first tank and who does not desire more tanks in the very near future or desire tackling euthanasia, fish that breed like rabbits may not be a wise first choice. Just my opinion anyway! :)

Groupon

oddly groupon has been running adds for a 10-30 gal starter kits for 25 bucks normaly they are around 50+ these tankes are cool and are cheap enought to up grade the filter and add fish and some fun decor for 75 buck that tank can go a long way and its fun for kids they have a black light to use during the night. my guess is that the tank and some fish along with the upgrades would run about 60-70 bucks total if i were you i would keep checking on groupon till you see the tank pop up and buy it for s christmas gift or something els.i bought 1 tank from them and up graded the filter and its been amazing i never do water changes and my levels are spot on i stuck 5 neon tertas and a dwarf frog a rare mini catfish and a beta and they are all loving the tank and the beta doesnt attack any of the fish and everyone is doing great

Talking to a close friend of mine.

Her, "I could get a small tank."

Me, "I'll buy you a 20 gallon."

Her, "I'm just going to put a few fish in it."

Me, "I'll pay for the whole deal."

Her, "I'm not going to get all chemistry and crazy like you. I don't have space for that."

Me, "I've always hated you."

Goldfish and bowl and pimp it out guarantee you will spend less that and have an amaZing goldfish bowl

For a child I think it's reasonable just to get the concept of fish in general !

I started with a feeder goldfish from my grandpa's farm. It was hardy. I tortured it as a young child.

+1. I cringe every time I see a fish bowl for sale. Bowls provide terrible living conditions for fish

For a child I think it's reasonable just to get the concept of fish in general !

Exactly what 'concept' is this supposed to teach a child? How NOT to care for a fish properly?

I think you are not giving sufficient credit to a child and their understanding of matters, be it fish or life in general. My 4yr old understands not only the importance of water changes and big tanks for our fish, but how to run basic tests, what the colors mean, why to add chemicals for water changes or to feed plants, proper feeding, how to identify males and females, if eggs are not fertile, etc. She may not grasp the chemistry behind some things yet but she understands more in respect to fish than my husband does. :)

Back
Top Bottom