I have Nitrates!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am so excited today is the first day I have seen NitRates since setting up my tank! Looks like 5ppm. :dance:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Ph 8.2
Temp 81.7
I wonder why I never see nitrites. I put in the Angel Plus bio active sponge last Thursday.
Should I do a water change, if so how much?
:thanks:

Attachments

• NITRATES.jpg
    NITRATES.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 65
you need to provide an ammonia source if you're still cycling. You can leave nitrates, 5ppm is very little. After water changes I'm still over 5 ppm

I have 3 danios and an Inca Snail. Until a couple of days ago I was getting .25ppm ammonia. Now 0 ammonia!

Enjoy ! Ideal nitrates are 10-20 for most . Heavy stocked tanks can easily get to
40 in a week.
I have seen many cycles form others where they saw no nitrites..That is why after a week or two of no nitrites I always say check nitrates..Many think they are waiting for something that has passed..The sponge surely helped..
Still running carbon?

Enjoy ! Ideal nitrates are 10-20 for most . Heavy stocked tanks can easily get to
40 in a week.
I have seen many cycles form others where they saw no nitrites..That is why after a week or two of no nitrites I always say check nitrates..Many think they are waiting for something that has passed..The sponge surely helped..
Still running carbon?
Yes I still have the carbon going and the landlord has decided on a whole house filter with carbon. Thanks for the recommendation. I can highly recommend the sponge for people who can't get seeded media from a friend.

From what I’ve observed, the nitrite spike is short lived in an established system. During my last fishless cycle I could detect the rise and drop for ammonia but never for nitrite. I was testing once a day around the same time. One day I tested multiple times (about 3-4 hours apart) and was able to catch the nitrite rise and fall. Very short window.
Congrats on the cycle and nice testament to the sponge.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me with this I really appreciate it. Great group here at AA! :thanks:

Sweet! If you don't have ammonia I won't do a wc. You've done great, time for tank to mature. And weekly wc. Enjoy!

Congratulations, but bittersweet...
Your cycled, that's so very important.
Now leads you to keeping control of it, almost neurotically. I've now added to my OCD..

Back
Top Bottom