I haven't been able to get rid of high nitrate level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayYoshy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Sadie. I just registered cuz' I read ur replies and u really know a lot and read u have 10gal. tank. I used Bacter Vital b4, it worked fine, but now I haven't been able to get rid of high nitrate level. It's been cycling for 3 months now. Right now it's only at .20 ppm cuz I got the crazy idea of adding AmQuel+ directly to the tank and it dropped immediately. The 2 damisels I used for cycling still doing great (of course, give them toilet water, and in toilet water they'll live), decent amount of live rock which seems to be growing purple algae in it.
The thing is, I know it's harder to maintain a smaller tank due to gas movement and aeration, so nitrate spikes quicker- so I have two filters (AquaClear50 full of Kent Marine Nitrate Sponge and an Emperor 280). I haven't bought a skimmer cuz' I'm really not sure how it works or what it does. Will it help me with nitrate? Is it neccesary? I'm kindda new, and I upgraded a normal freshwater tank. I tried marine b4, 1st time total failure, 2nd time had no idea what happened- all level were grrreat, think over-populated. Right now all I want is 2 perculas, an anemone and maybe a coral.
Hope I didn't take too much of ur time and u'll be muh savior.

Partial Water Changes will keep your nitrates in check in the absence of other nitrate reduction methods. Nitrates below 40 are fine for a FO or FOWLR tank. If you decide to add coral down the line you need to be under 10 with zero being ideal.

Hey Sadie. I just registered cuz' I read ur replies and u really know a lot and read u have 10gal. tank. I used Bacter Vital b4, it worked fine, but now I haven't been able to get rid of high nitrate level. It's been cycling for 3 months now. Right now it's only at .20 ppm cuz I got the crazy idea of adding AmQuel+ directly to the tank and it dropped immediately. The 2 damisels I used for cycling still doing great (of course, give them toilet water, and in toilet water they'll live), decent amount of live rock which seems to be growing purple algae in it.
The thing is, I know it's harder to maintain a smaller tank due to gas movement and aeration, so nitrate spikes quicker- so I have two filters (AquaClear50 full of Kent Marine Nitrate Sponge and an Emperor 280). I haven't bought a skimmer cuz' I'm really not sure how it works or what it does. Will it help me with nitrate? Is it neccesary? I'm kindda new, and I upgraded a normal freshwater tank. I tried marine b4, 1st time total failure, 2nd time had no idea what happened- all level were grrreat, think over-populated. Right now all I want is 2 perculas, an anemone and maybe a coral.
Hope I didn't take too much of ur time and u'll be muh savior.
Jay first off welcome ...
I have a couple questions for you ...
What size tank is it that you are running ?
What salts are you using to mix ?
What water are you using to mix ?
What is your SPG ?
What test kit are you using ?
When was and how much was your last H20 change ?
Do you rinse or change out your sponges ?
Do you run chemical filtration IE chemi pure, carbon etc ?
What is your lighting ?
The principal of a skimmer is kinda simple , it basically super charges the water with air bubbles in a chamber , where the DOC's ( Uneaten foods , fish poo, etc) be come traped in the bubbles , the bubbles being light lift to the collection cup and are trapped ..The skimmer can help with the nitrAtes . With a nano you should be doing a water change weekly of about 10% -20% ...In my 10 I change out 4-5 gallons weekly , as I have a huge bioload for the 10 ... 20 NitrAtes are not that bad you want to shoot for under 10 or less ... water changes weekly should accomplish this for you since I do not know the size of your tank and you I am going to say that some larger water changes are in order , change out and rinse all filter media ... this will also help you to acomplish that ... Trapping the damsels may be difficult but removal will be your best bet if you want 2 clowns ;) .. Clowns do not need a host anenome and may not even host it , they walk sting , and can become chopsuey in a powerhead ... causing a tank crash , they require stable perameters , and high light ..go with a faux anenome IE torch coral , frogspwan , hammer , they sway in the water and clowns do host those , but not always ... The purple algea is good it is coraline alge , it shows that you are starting to have a healthy tank ...
Damsels are hardy fish and nasty so unless you like them perhaps they are due back at the pet store :D ... They are hard to kill and will live just about any thing ....
Again the thing is to go slow , it is hard but it is what works ;) ...
If you have questions dont be afraid to ask ...You can do this too :D I swear .... it is alot of learning principals etc but it can be done !!
Again welcome...

Thanks a lot for replying. Good to know a skimmer will actually help out with nitrates. I read bout' .20 ppm on nitrate is good enough for FO&LR... I guess I could get away with it too, Sometimes nitrate levels just rise too fast and that's what driving me a lil' crazy.

The tank size is 10gal-(that's one of the reasons I asked you, I read u have a 10gal. and some nanos)
Salt- Coralife Salt
Water- I used to use TapWater and then add API's Tap Water Conditioner and AmQuel
I've now been using some softened, reversed osmosis, UV, carbon filtered distilled water
Gravity- around 30's
Test Kits- API's Saltwater and I also test with API's Reef
I've been making bout 3 gals. every 2-3 days water changes
I haven't rinsed the nitrate sponge yet cuz' I added it on a pouch to the filter about a week ago- so I don't think it has worked yet.
I do use carbon on the other filter- API's activated carbon
Lighting- I'm not sure about what brand I'm using- I installed a SunPaq lighting hood to a wood lid a guy from the pet store made me- I did some research and I think it's a 40w from SunPaq 10,000 K and 460nm Acnitic colors (Compact Fluoresent). The guy from the pet store said it might be too much lighting for my tank and it may rise temperature too much so he made the hood a lil' high.
Once Again, thanks a lot. Lots of hugs from Puerto Rico (yup, that's the reason some things I wrote may have made no sence).

Thanks a lot for replying. Good to know a skimmer will actually help out with nitrates. I read bout' .20 ppm on nitrate is good enough for FO&LR... I guess I could get away with it too, Sometimes nitrate levels just rise too fast and that's what driving me a lil' crazy.

The tank size is 10gal-(that's one of the reasons I asked you, I read u have a 10gal. and some nanos)
Salt- Coralife Salt ok no advice here I use reef crystals but should not raise them up
Water- I used to use TapWater and then add API's Tap Water Conditioner and AmQuel Use RO/DI this using tap will altmately end up with issues as will the amquel
I've now been using some softened, reversed osmosis, UV, carbon filtered distilled water Ok go with RO/DI distilled should be fine
Gravity- around 30's Nope need SPG 1.0--
Test Kits- API's Saltwater and I also test with API's Reef Good kit
I've been making bout 3 gals. every 2-3 days water changes try to do a bit closer 5 gallons then let things settle down for a couple days and retest
I haven't rinsed the nitrate sponge yet cuz' I added it on a pouch to the filter about a week ago- so I don't think it has worked yet. Go ahead and rinse this with old tank water
I do use carbon on the other filter- API's activated carbon change this out this is only good for about 3-5 days you may be able to use chemi pure to help out
Lighting- I'm not sure about what brand I'm using- I installed a SunPaq lighting hood to a wood lid a guy from the pet store made me- I did some research and I think it's a 40w from SunPaq 10,000 K and 460nm Acnitic colors (Compact Fluoresent). The guy from the pet store said it might be too much lighting for my tank and it may rise temperature too much so he made the hood a lil' high. Nope this should not be causing issues (at least nitrAtes )to badly since I do NOT know your climate ....a fan should help you ... I run 80 watts PC on my 10 with little effect but I also run an RK2 to regulate it ... Follow my links to see my pics of my tank ...Rinsing frozen foods will also help to keep it lower as well
Once Again, thanks a lot. Lots of hugs from Puerto Rico (yup, that's the reason some things I wrote may have made no sence).
Lets see my replies will be in red :D Glad to help you and I made sense of most of it ;)

I missed ur reply. Sorry. I always make sure to have my SPG round'1.020-1.023. I'm still getting a lil' high nitrates levels, but the test won't change color as fast as b4. B4 I went on vacations I made a 5 gals. water change. Will make another 5gal change tomorrow. What do you think of Oceanic's salt? It's cheaper and fast dissolving (it's more like powder). Might buy a protein skimmer next week- by Jebo. I;ve read many good reviews. I also saw Lee's protein skimmer but it looks so cheaply made.

you dont need a skimmer on a tank that small just do the water changes

kent marine nitrogen sponge keeps my tank at zero, plus i use petco ocean water for saltwater fish, and your best bet is to take out half of the water and get petco ocean water and slowly add 5 gallons in, and just use the ocean water for salt water, then useing tap water in such a small tank. and get live rock to.

maybe you have a faulty test kit if you do a water change every 3 days and no results.

Back
Top Bottom