I just don't know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Short-N-Portly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I was heavy into aquariums nearly 15yrs ago LEDs were a thing of the "future".

I bought a 40gl Breeder tank today at Petco with their dollar per gallon sale and want to go with a LED lighting and found what I think is decent deal on Fleabay via a Chinese seller, the question I have is how to LUMENS transfer to watts needed for good illumination and for optimal plant growth?

As of yet we do not know if we want to go full planted and tiny fish or go with what wifey wants which is goldfish and sparse media and decorations IE (plastic plants)?

I guess my biggest question is; Will a light such as this work for a goldfish and/or growing plants if that's what we ultimately decided on?
And of course I'm open to other avenues if anyone has suggestions?

Thx in advance!! (y)

LED36" 48"135X LEDs Aquarium Fish Tank Light High Lumen White Blue Extendable | eBay

SPECIFICATION:
• Includes 135 LEDs
• 123x 10000K cool white
• 12x 460nm Actinic
• Lumen : 1750
• Super energy efficient 0.10 watt LEDs
• Extendable bracket - 36"-48" max extend
• Splash guard
• AC110-240V AC adapter
DIMENSION: 34.375" x3.5" x 0.5"

INCLUDES:
1 piece of LED light
1 power adaptor

How deep is your tank?

As a rule of thumb I find price not a bad indicator. Cheap and cheerful won't have the grunt for deep tanks. In shallow tanks not so important or you could add more lights later perhaps.

That fixture should be fine for fish only. With plants, considering the depth, *maybe* very low light plants.
The actinics will render a bluish/cool color. The 10000K is alright but plant lights are more in the 6500K range.
For LEDs, PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) appears to be the preferred unit of measure. It can be measured using a PAR meter and its values are sometimes provided by the manufacturer. I have not heard of any methods for converting lumens or watts to PAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You don't want one in that high of a color range, that is more suited to saltwater coral reef tanks, as mentioned above.
For about the same price point any of these would be much better options;

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00C7OTIV4?ie=UTF8&keywords=led%20freshwater%20aquarium%20light&qid=1462114099&ref_=sr_1_2&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2

Amazon.com : Beamswork HE 6500K 1W Series LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant (30") : Pet Supplies

for just fish, low light/plastic plants;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BH9AMDM/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4

You don't want one in that high of a color range, that is more suited to saltwater coral reef tanks, as mentioned above.
For about the same price point any of these would be much better options;

Amazon.com : Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light for Aquarium, 36 to 48-Inch : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : Beamswork HE 6500K 1W Series LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant (30") : Pet Supplies

for just fish, low light/plastic plants;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BH9AMDM/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4

Thank you very much, your links have been most helpful.
I think I'm going to buy the Beamswork ET Series and the Timer.
(y)

Back
Top Bottom