I need a crash course in Blue Rams!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
The wife if really wanting to add a Blue Ram to our 48 gallon freshwater. I'm hoping to get some quick info (from you guys instead of just googling them).

My tank is fully cycled, and my numbers are as follows-
Ammo-0 nitrItes-0 nitrAtes -10 pH-7.4 hardness-100 alkalinity- 200

The fish I have now are-
9 neons
7 red eye tetras
8 Glofish/leopard danio mix

I'm also planning on getting some corys soon

So, are the rams fully compatible? Can they be solo or do I need a pair?

Thanks!!! ps...my wife is gonna drive me nuts if I don't tell her if we can go get them or not.

Looks fine to me. They are very peaceful, but the blue rams are sensitive. They do prefer a lower ph, but you may be able to acclimate them. You could get 1 or 2, a solo fish is fine. I have a bolivian ram, which are very similar but more naturally colored. They are more hardy, mine is doing great as a single in a ph of 7.8.

I considered them the other day for a 10 gallon. I was going to get one with some neons. They guy at the store said the Rams might chase and or kill the neons. I don't know if that's completely true or not, but I wanted a completely peaceful aquarium so went with different fish.

Fist thing with rams - get GOOD stock. It can really be difficult because many of the fish are injected with hormones to make they color up fast - prettier fish sell. You best bet is to find a private breeder.

Second - they like WARM water, as in the mid 80's. Not many fish like such warm water, so they really aren't a fit for every tank. Danios, neons and corys all prefer the water about 10 degrees cooler - that may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

pH is a little high, but most fish can adjust to that. They are sensitive to water parameters, which is probably why they do better at a low pH (ammonia turns to ammonium, which is not supposed to be as toxic). Regardless, this shouldn't be an issue because the tank ought to be well established.

If you can convince her, see if you can do Bolivian rams instead. They're a lot less sensitive, and are almost exactly like the blues, just more naturally colored.

Homedog98 said:
If you can convince her, see if you can do Bolivian rams instead. They're a lot less sensitive, and are almost exactly like the blues, just more naturally colored.

Great idea Homedog and Tropical. She likes them just as much! I'll have to research them a bit more and maybe see if someone here breeds them. Who are the members who are sellers? Do you guys know?

Thanks. I'll do a bit more research and contact them. I'm not sure the rams would ship well though if they're so sensitive.

eco23 said:
Thanks. I'll do a bit more research and contact them. I'm not sure the rams would ship well though if they're so sensitive.

The bolivians are a lot hardier then the German blues, and HN1 and severum mama know what they're doing.

I'm probably holding off for a week on the corys and ram anyway. I had that pop-eye issue last night and I want to make sure it's an isolated thing, and not going to be a tank wide problem. I'm actually about to update that thread.

eco23 said:
I'm probably holding off for a week on the corys and ram anyway. I had that pop-eye issue last night and I want to make sure it's an isolated thing, and not going to be a tank wide problem. I'm actually about to update that thread.

Cool! Sounds good.

I love the bolivians! I have a female, she is so pretty. They are like the GBR but more natural and less sensitive. I had a rough acclimation with mine, it ended up being only 20 minutes as opposed to an hour or so. She did fine and is still great today. Pick up some frozen food, like bloodworms, for a treat and up the temperature to 78-80 and they'll color up. Someone mentioned the rams will chase other fish. That's only when a pair is breeding, and they won't harm the fish anyway, just scare them away. A single or non mating pair are very peaceful.

eco23 said:
I'm not sure a temp that high is gonna work for my other fish...I'll do a little research.

Most fish can adjust fine to lower temps. It's the high temps that get them.

I asked a question about mixing rams with glo's/danios and was advised by severum mama and others not to do it. I was bummed..still trying to find a place to have some danios :( She suggested I find a breeder or order online because stock from lfs isn't usually so great. I ended up finding one from my m&p lfs who I really like, and couldn't help but try one from there. When I looked online everyone was selling them in groups and I really just needed one. He's in with 7 glowlight tetras and hasn't shown any aggression towards them. Very beautiful fish :)

siva said:
I asked a question about mixing rams with glo's/danios and was advised by severum mama and others not to do it. I was bummed..still trying to find a place to have some danios :( She suggested I find a breeder or order online because stock from lfs isn't usually so great. I ended up finding one from my m&p lfs who I really like, and couldn't help but try one from there. When I looked online everyone was selling them in groups and I really just needed one. He's in with 7 glowlight tetras and hasn't shown any aggression towards them. Very beautiful fish :)

Hmm...I didn't think they ever got aggressive unless they were breeding. I'd always heard you need to worry about other fish picking on them...but from everything I've heard, severum mama knows her stuff.

siva said:

How big was your tank?

Back
Top Bottom