I need help ASAP!!! Cichlids exhibiting Weird Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NitrAtes will never be 0. You misread my post, I was talking about nitrItes.

You didn't post your NitrIte reading. I was guessing with a trace of ammonia that you were still in-cycle.

You're probably experiencing some sort of mini-cycle OR your tap water has ammonia in it. You also may have a dead fish producing ammonia, are all your fish accounted for? A healthy tank should have a consistent 0 ammonia.

Have you recently cleaned your filters?

Anything at all new?

Yes i did misread...My bad...I have a question for you. Is it normal to still see trace ammo in a fully cycled tank? I have been up and running for 3 months but I still get just a little ammo ever 3 days or so. I mean the test tube is not pee yellow, but between the pee yellow and .25 green. So I change like 10% every few days. I also have lots of filtration, sump with bioballs, dead live rock and sponge. I also have a big hob with 2 biowheels filled with matrix. Is it just the worlds slowest cycle?

steez said:
NitrAtes will never be 0. You misread my post, I was talking about nitrItes.

You didn't post your NitrIte reading. I was guessing with a trace of ammonia that you were still in-cycle.

You're probably experiencing some sort of mini-cycle OR your tap water has ammonia in it. You also may have a dead fish producing ammonia, are all your fish accounted for? A healthy tank should have a consistent 0 ammonia.

Have you recently cleaned your filters?

Anything at all new?

NitrItes 0ppm, sorry, forgot to include that!

Here is something interesting though, I did an ammonia test on my tap water. It's 1.0 ppm!!!

Yes i did misread...My bad...I have a question for you. Is it normal to still see trace ammo in a fully cycled tank? I have been up and running for 3 months but I still get just a little ammo ever 3 days or so. I mean the test tube is not pee yellow, but between the pee yellow and .25 green. So I change like 10% every few days. I also have lots of filtration, sump with bioballs, dead live rock and sponge. I also have a big hob with 2 biowheels filled with matrix. Is it just the worlds slowest cycle?

Have you tested your tap water?

Also, your bio-load just may be too big for the current bacteria. Keep up the water changes and sooner or later the bacteria will build and be able to more quickly rid of the ammonia.

Here is something interesting though, I did an ammonia test on my tap water. It's 1.0 ppm!!!

WOW.....Make sure the test tube was clean when you started...but that is really high!!! Also check your kit make sure its in date. That explains why you have nitrates the day after a PWC. You add ammo in with the water and the BB has to eat it.

There you go. That's where the ammonia is coming from.

I would avoid big water changes in your tank, because you're adding ammonia each time. Maybe two or three small ones spread throughout the week. You could also invest into an RO/DI unit so you don't have ammonia in the water you are returning to the tank.

Jmedic25 said:
WOW.....Make sure the test tube was clean when you started...but that is really high!!! Also check your kit make sure its in date.

Yes, used another brand new one actually, new kit also :)

Have you tested your tap water?

Also, your bio-load just may be too big for the current bacteria. Keep up the water changes and sooner or later the bacteria will build and be able to more quickly rid of the ammonia.

Yeah tap water is 0 ammo. My bioload is low. 15 cichlids all under 2 inches and a 10 in pleco. Oh and 13 itty bitty fry in a breeder box.

I changed the filters 2 days ago also.

What can I do about the high NitrAte level?? I would really not like to lose ANY of my babies!!!

I changed the filters 2 days ago also.

What can I do about the high NitrAte level?? I would really not like to lose ANY of my babies!!!

I think stees is right. You have a mini cycle going on. Not knowing your filter setup you may have removed a good portion of your BB with a double filter change (big no-no) always change your filters when they are falling apart and always seed your new filters with the old ones. Couple that with your hi ammo tap water and you have stress in your tank. So keep up the pwcs and testing. Use prime as your dechlorinator. Im amazed your tap water is that bad and this is your first issue with multiple tanks

You CHANGED the filters? That's probably why you have ammonia as well.

Were they starting to break apart or something? Remember, you're not supposed to change them unless you have to. If you change them you are removing a bunch of BB. Thus, usually entering a mini-cycle. (Where you get small traces of ammonia)

steez said:
You CHANGED the filters? That's probably why you have ammonia as well.

Were they starting to break apart or something? Remember, you're not supposed to change them unless you have to. If you change them you are removing a bunch of BB. Thus, usually entering a mini-cycle. (Where you get small traces of ammonia)

Wait, what?? I put a new one in every month. Otherwise they get too dirty! I've had tanks my whole life and never knew you weren't suppose to do that?!

Jmedic25 said:
I think stees is right. You have a mini cycle going on. Not knowing your filter setup you may have removed a good portion of your BB with a double filter change (big no-no) always change your filters when they are falling apart and always seed your new filters with the old ones. Couple that with your hi ammo tap water and you have stress in your tank. So keep up the pwcs and testing. Use prime as your dechlorinator. Im amazed your tap water is that bad and this is your first issue with multiple tanks

Double filter change?? I'm so confused.

And yes, I can't believe its that high either!!!!!

Wait, what?? I put a new one in every month. Otherwise they get too dirty! I've had tanks my whole life and never knew you weren't suppose to do that?!

No you do not replace filters. You just take them out and clean them in old tank water. (not tap) This will clean the junk out of them, but leave the good bacteria which you took so long to build!

Most of your good bacteria builds up in the filter, so by replacing it you are almost restarting your cycle every time. The companies of course tell you to, but they want the $$.

steez said:
No you do not replace filters. You just take them out and clean them in old tank water. (not tap) This will clean the junk out of them, but leave the good bacteria which you took so long to build!

Most of your good bacteria builds up in the filter, so by replacing it you are almost restarting your cycle every time. The companies of course tell you to, but they want the $$.

Oooooh!! Lol, yes, I just clean them, but I can only clean them once (2 months time) before they have completely fallen apart and I HAVE to get a new one out.

You have been lucky!!!! Never change filter media until its falling apart. Then put the new one in with the old one so the BB clings to the new one..For a few days at least. Just wash them out in aquarium water. Remove the soild waste thats it. Also you may try adding some biomedia like sechem matrix not the black carbon stuff but the grey stuff. You can put in in a nylon bag and hang it in your filter. You dont have to change it out ever. Also you can get bioballs

kelbaker79 said:
Oooooh!! Lol, yes, I just clean them, but I can only clean them once (2 months time) before they have completely fallen apart and I HAVE to get a new one out.

I'm sorry, I'm just worried about my Fishies, not thinking completely clearly

Back
Top Bottom