I need help - high nitrite levels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilmissmegan1405

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I cannot get the nitrite level to go down in my tank I've tried water changes and adding salt and I'm new at this so I don't know what else to do PLEASE Help ME

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :)

Is this a new tank? It sounds like you may still be cycling if it is. You'll have to do water changes and test the nitrite levels frequently, sometimes even once or twice a day, until the bacteria responsible for breaking down the nitrite into nitrate can catch up with your bioload. Here's an article to get you started:

Nitrogen Cycle

Thank you! I read the article and its very hard for me to understand. I don't want to seem dumb I just wish someone could come and show me what to do so I knew how to fix this before my poor fishies die. I wish I would have realized how serious this is before I got so many fish. I shouldve started with one or two now I feel HORRIBLE when they die :( I'm just not sure where I'm at in this but I know I want to help my fish so ill do whatever I need to to keep them alive I just wish I knew what that is

What you should probably do right away is a 50% water change to lessen the nitrites in the water immediately. Then keep doing a 50% water change every day or so until the tank is finished cycling.

To simplify the nitrogen cycle, when a tank is first set up it is pure, there is nothing living in it. Then you add fish, and the fish food and fish poo break down and rot and when this happens, it turns into ammonia, which basically kills your fish. But bacteria grows that eats the ammonia, and they eat it and turn it into nitrites. Then a different species of bacteria grows and eats the nitrites and turns them into nitRATES. Nitrates are less toxic to fish and can be removed by weekly partial water changes. These bacteria that you need grow mainly in your filter sponges, which si why you should never change a filter sponge or cartirdge, even if it says to on the box. Bacteria is your friend!

The fact that you HAVE nitrites shows that some of this bacteria is starting to grow. YAY!

But if you don't replace good portions of your water every day you will loose fish until enough bacteria have grown to keep the water free of nitrites. It just takes time.

ps make sure the water you use for the change is the same temperature as the tank, and dechlorinated.

Okay!!! Thank you!! I think I finally get it...lol :D I'm very excited I will start right away and ill let you know how thing are going soon! And THANK YOU Again!

kay, start tonight and keep us updated :) don't panic if you loose that guppy within the next day or two, it happens.

Back
Top Bottom