I NEED HELP!!! old 125 gallon. No center brace.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newtot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I got this thing in a trade. Its a perfecto 125 that was made in the 90s with 1/2" thick glass. It has the plastic trim around the top but the center brace is completely gone. The guy I got it from had it set up for a month. I have contacted every company known to man, including perfecto and cant get a new frame for this thing. Plus its an odd size 18.5" wide instead of 18". I called a local store also to see if I could order one through them and they said the old tanks were made to flex and that I didn't need one. I am super confused LOL. I am also a women and know nothing about constructing things. I have two ideas. One is to get 4 glass strips 4" wide 18.5" long and 1/2" thick and silicon it to the top of the glass after removing the frame. Then my dad who is a carpenter came up with the idea of making a new frame from wood and put cross braces on that. then stain and seal. Would either of these work? If not what would? The simpler the better.... if you have made something that worked show instructions with pics!!!!!! THX

Ok so I got this thing in a trade. Its a perfecto 125 that was made in the 90s with 1/2" thick glass. It has the plastic trim around the top but the center brace is completely gone. The guy I got it from had it set up for a month. I have contacted every company known to man, including perfecto and cant get a new frame for this thing. Plus its an odd size 18.5" wide instead of 18". I called a local store also to see if I could order one through them and they said the old tanks were made to flex and that I didn't need one. I am super confused LOL. I am also a women and know nothing about constructing things. I have two ideas. One is to get 4 glass strips 4" wide 18.5" long and 1/2" thick and silicon it to the top of the glass after removing the frame. Then my dad who is a carpenter came up with the idea of making a new frame from wood and put cross braces on that. then stain and seal. Would either of these work? If not what would? The simpler the better.... if you have made something that worked show instructions with pics!!!!!! THX

Search up "euro bracing for aquariums". You could definitely do new bracing with glass.

I thought euro bracing is where the glass goes all the way around the tank and through the middle? I was just looking to do the center brace or braces only!

I thought euro bracing is where the glass goes all the way around the tank and through the middle? I was just looking to do the center brace or braces only!

Multiple braces across would be extremely annoying IMO. I hate my single center brace.

Can you see that it had a center brace to begin with?

Is it a 6ft 125?

It wasn't made to flex, its either a bow front or its not and if its not its not, and will break.

I almost got a 210 gallon from a guy and he just had a new top trim+center braces put on it. 125g's usually have 2 braces making the tank 3 sections.

It's a 6ft 125 gallon. I don't think it ever had a glass center brace. But the plastic brace attached to the frame is gone.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409148576.149534.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

125g's usually have 2 braces making the tank 3 sections.
Some of the older tanks used 1/2" glass and were only braced in the middle or not at all. Now they use thinner glass and more bracing. They don't make them like they used to. :)

It's a 6ft 125 gallon. I don't think it ever had a glass center brace. But the plastic brace attached to the frame is gone.View attachment 248175
I am pretty far from an expert in this area but what I have seen people do in the past is add a piece of glass as brace. Then use silicon to connect it to the glass of the tank. Some tanks are actually constructed this way to begin with. If you try googling <glass center brace aquarium> you should find some tutorials.

You could also eurobrace the tank which involves removing the frame putting a layer of glass all around the top edge.

Lastly, I don't know if a 6ft 125g tank made of 1/2" thick glass needs a center brace. You could find an engineering type to figure that out for you.

I just called my nearest reef store!! They were not open yesterday. They are gonna heck into ordering a new frame for me! Hopefully they can!

Back
Top Bottom