I need help on how to setup a sump for a reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to setup a sump for a 90 gal tank with internal overflow kit. How many GPH,and kind of pump should i get? How large should the sump be? Some people say i can use a 10gal from WalMart as a sump. TIA!

I am far from expert (see recent impassioned pleas for sump plumbing help) but I can suggest with confidence that a 10 gallon is pretty tiny. It depends what you want to do--just a place for your skimmer, etc? Do you want a fuge, too? I am in process of setting up a 29g sump for my 75 display, and I personally would not want to go any smaller. Between the sump chamber, return chamber, and 'fuge, it's pretty tight. (There are some pics in my gallery, if you're interested.) The bigger the better, IMO! Whatever will fit under your stand.

Any sump is better than no sump. On that note I do agree that bigger is better. I might suggest watching garage sales and bargain finders. I have gotten all kinds of stuff for dirt cheap from these sources. I have officially become the thrifty reefer :roll:

you want your pump to have less GPH at the head height you're using than your overflow. Don't try to match them or you'll get a flood someday.

Back
Top Bottom