I need help with silver Molly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kodilee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 guppies, 5 neon tetras, 2 long black skirted tetras, 1 dalmation Molly, 1 cremecicle Molly, 1 silver Molly, and 1 pleco. I have no idea what is on my silver Molly I don't know if it's getting bullied or if it's ick. I need help!! It has white spots on it's fins they are spreading a little at a time... Kind of looks like it's shedding... As in you can see skin or scale not sure what fins are made of... Anyways please help I don't wanna flush her. If photo helps I'll add In the morning.

Is she or any of the other fish new?

How long has the tank been up and running?

Is it cycled?

What are your water parameters and test results?

How often do you do a PWC?

How much?

Sorry for all the questions, but we can't help you without knowing more about your fish and the aquarium.

Photos are always helpful!

I'm very new to being a fish owner. So I apologize if I do not understand some if the questions your asking... The Molly is about 3 weeks old as is the tank. The only recently added fish was the cremecicle fish. I havent done any tests on the tank. I haven't done any water changes since it's been running. I used easybalance water conditioner, aquarium dechlorinator, and genesis something to help the fish become acclimated to new surroundings and their protective coating. I'll add a picture of her now.

Well, Kodi, it appears you have a tank full of fish with ammonia poisoning because your tank was not "cycled" before you added fish.

Cycling is the process where your aquarium needs to run without fish in it until enough beneficial bacteria build up in the filter to be able to turn fish waste (ammonia) into a less toxic form (nitrate.)

The best thing for you to do for the health of your fish is to return them to the LFS until your tank is cycled.

If this is not an option for you, be prepared to begin a lot of work every single day, possibly for over a month, to keep your fish alive during the cycling process, which can be quite deadly to your fish.

I also highly recommend you get yourself a high quality liquid drop test kit to be able to check your aquarium for toxins such as ammonia and nitrite during the cycling process.

You can read the two articles below to learn more about how to cycle your tank to make it safe for fish.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I used easybalance water conditioner, aquarium dechlorinator, and genesis something to help the fish become acclimated

The water conditioner you used to remove chlorine is important.

The other so-called conditioners are almost worthless and will do little to nothing to help your fish.

Sorry for the bad news. But you might be able to save the fish, it will be a lot of work though.

No other fish are sick and about half the fish have been around for a month and have no visible marks... The silver acts as if nothing is wrong it's not scratching on anything. The cremecicle just got it's first mark on it's tail fin.

No it's looks like maybe shedding or just white bloch... The are no visible marks on the body of the silver or cremecicle

Kodilee said:
No it's looks like maybe shedding or just white bloch... The are no visible marks on the body of the silver or cremecicle

Then I doubt it's ich. It sounds like a fungal issue. I used to use ich attack for both ich and fungus, but aquarium salt and primafix would work best. (I've since switched to that method)

Back
Top Bottom