I rescued a Blood Parrot today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Doing my usual Saturday errands. I ended up near the pet dept in a chain store. So I took a look at their fish with no intention of buying any. BIG MISTAKE
I found two Blood Parrots in a tank. One was laying on it's side hiding behind a plant and the other one was attacking it. The poor fish has bite marks all over it. I called the mgr and asked if she'd give me the fish since it looked near death. At first she said no, but then she did finally gave it to me for free.
So, off to a lfs to buy another tank since my 45 gal tank is fully stocked.
The lfs said if the injured fish would eat it might survive. And it did eat a little tonight. I don't think it was getting much to eat since that other fish was constantly biting it. I'm going to leave it in the tank with no other fish for a while so it rests and gets some strength back.
I can't stand to see animals being hurt. I just couldn't leave that little fish there to die. I thought if it's going to die, it can have a peaceful death in my home.

Hope it makes a full recovery. I recently rescued a bunch of fish my self all of which have been doing great so far.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good on you, thankfully I haven't come across anything like that at my LFS, or I would be buying more tanks too. Lol.
You're a nice person, so I'm sure the fish will be okay!

Make sure you seed your filter. You said you have multiple tanks though so I'm sure you're fine! :)

Nicee that is so kind of you! Can you attach a picture? I'd love to see it haha

I just took some pictures buy I'm not very good at uploading them. If I can figure it out I'll post a photo. I found out tonight that he loves frozen blood worms. He is eating pretty good so looks like he'll be okay.

I think just click post reply and then there is a button that says choose file. Thats what is says on mine

Go to "post reply" or click the "go advanced" button on the quick reply box, scroll down to the "Additional options" box, click "manage attachments", and a small window will pop up with buttons that say "choose file". Click those to add photos from your computer, then click the "upload" button to the right of those. Then close the window and post the comment, and the photos should now be posted in that comment like so:

Attachments

• 6-14-2014.jpg
    6-14-2014.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 96
Have you had blood parrots before? I see tiny ones (like two inches) at the lfs all the time and they're so cute! The guy I bought my 180g from had 3 parrots, 2 black oscars, 2 14inch cat fish things, and a discus living in the tank and all the fish were HUGE they couldn't swim any where with out bumping in to each other. I guess he had 4 parrots and 3 oscars but one of the oscars tried to eat one of the parrots and they both died in the process. The new homes for the fish showed up the same time we did for the tank. I hope the new homes are better than the one that guy was giving them :-/

What type of set up are you planning for him? I would love one but I just don't think I could keep it happy, maybe you could give me an idea for tank number seven!! Keep us updated! How big is he? Great job stepping up and taking responsibility for him.

Thank you to whomever gave me detailed instructions on how to post a photo!
Here is a picture of the fish I rescued last weekend. He loves frozen blood worms and he is eating so I'm sure he will be fine.

This is my first Blood Parrot. I've had my 45 gal for three years. I have tropical fish in that tank. This Parrot is now in a small tank but when he gets larger I'll get him in a larger tank.

Glad to see your rescue fish getting the life it deserves! Great picture.

Back
Top Bottom