I seem to be more interested in state of the art aquarium equipment, rather than actu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I get more excited about having a powerful high tech filter or led light, rather than seeing fish swim...

Years ago when I was into the hobby, it was all about fish. Now i feel its how nice the setup looks. Anyone else feel like this?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am always intrigued with how often tank water goes through the filtration system, and have thing about clarity of water, I'm not really high tech but love how the whole system works for my fish........

I hear you. When touring a public aquarium, museum, hatchery, or nursery, I would find it interesting to take a peek behind the scenes to see what equipment and techniques being used as well as talk to the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

your not the only one, I'm sure that has something to do with why we all have multiple tanks or are always planning that "next set-up".

also the reason I always try to figure out a DIY solution. I find it more rewarding if I designed/built the filtration system myself and at a fraction of the cost.

same kind of thing as the guy who spends 5 years restoring a car only to sell it and buy another "project" car, it's the actually doing that is rewarding more so than the end result.

I'm still in it for the fish! I'll slap any old filter, any old heater and any old decor in my tank. Still using plastic plants. At the end of the day it's the fish behavior I'm interested in.

I'm still in it for the fish! I'll slap any old filter, any old heater and any old decor in my tank. Still using plastic plants. At the end of the day it's the fish behavior I'm interested in.
I'm still in for the fish, but without pump, filter and heater........no fish........slapping any old stuff in will fail one day and then what..........

Being a machinist for 40+ years I love the new tech. But I can see that online. I worry more about saving money, so I can have more stuff.

You got the wrong fish:) I've got all the fancy gadgets and plants but I'm still all about my fish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm still in for the fish, but without pump, filter and heater........no fish........slapping any old stuff in will fail one day and then what..........
If you look at it that way, any single piece of equipment you ever buy will eventually fail...

I didn't mean that I don't use that stuff. I just mean that I don't care as long as it works. Case in point: Every single one of my tanks has a sponge filter (usually in conjunction with a mediocre HOB)! Prettymuch the most low-tech filter you can get. And one of my heaters is about 8 years old. The hood on my ram cichlid tank has 2 5 watt incandescent bulbs, the shellie tank has a generic T5 flourescent. LED lights on the 29 gallon.

My overall point was that it's the fish, not the equipment, that get me excited in this hobby :) Not that there's anything wrong with getting your enjoyment out of the mechanical side!

Last edited:
Being a machinist for 40+ years I love the new tech. But I can see that online. I worry more about saving money, so I can have more stuff.

That's why I choose DIY (y)
It is very easy 90% of the time to make very efficient filters, light set-ups, etc. without having to go into debt.

If you look at it that way, any single piece of equipment you ever buy will eventually fail...
True M; but you have more chance with newish stuff, you know the feeling when you go away for a few days as I am soon, you think.........WHAT IF........:nono:

That's why I choose DIY (y)
It is very easy 90% of the time to make very efficient filters, light set-ups, etc. without having to go into debt.
When your talented in DIY that's good PB, at my age I don't worry about debt........:D

True M; but you have more chance with newish stuff, you know the feeling when you go away for a few days as I am soon, you think.........WHAT IF........:nono:
Haha take a look at this... my tank after a lighting timer failure and 3 days of a light being on

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414004883515.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414004883515.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 49
Ultimately, I am in it for observing fish behavior. But I am definitely a gadget guy and love that stuff as well. This means I tend to waste a lot of money on the hobby that I probably don't need to. But since I get enjoyment from it I guess it is all good.

Exactly........
My point is, it doesn't matter what you buy, theres going to be failures in equipmeny. And unless you have $1,000 to drop on a controller that will email you when something goes wrong, theres not much you can do about it.

My point is, it doesn't matter what you buy, theres going to be failures in equipmeny. And unless you have $1,000 to drop on a controller that will email you when something goes wrong, theres not much you can do about it.
I totally disagree with this statement. Those controllers can be had for $500-600 these days. :)

It's interesting how people can have all kinds of interests that bring them to the hobby. I am a (wannabe) scientist; I like to keep fish to watch what they do.

My fiance has an odd mix of interests between artist and scientist, so she loves the "natural art" of the aquarium fish and aquascaping as well as the behavior. Her 29 gallon looks arguably better than any tank I've ever set up.

Some people, like my dad, who is an engineer, like the equipment. He would help me with different sorts of DIY systems and fixing equipment that had malfunctioned.

Different strokes for different folks, but fishkeeping is a very diverse hobby :)

Well, all said and done M; if we have a power cut, be it old or new, there is nothing we can do about it........here in England it does happen........we are in the lap of the gods.........:angel:

Back
Top Bottom