I still can't tell......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is one of the strangest fish I've seen. I still can't tell if it's a he or she. And I'm pretty sure it's a GBR, but it's lost it's red eyes and is kind of looking Bolivianish. lol. Since adding the female from the breeder tank, the male GBR hangs with her now, and this fish is free to roam the tank, and is not harrassed at all by either the male GBR or the female GBR. It's really strange. And I don't think Bolivians have the blue speckles either. This just gets me. Whatever it is, had no color other than the black markings, and blue speckles and a yellow tummy now. Other than that, it's grayish and seems very happy. Greets me every time I come to the tank as well. Also black on the dorsal fin as well. When I added the female, this fish was first to greet her, and looked like it wanted to do a mating ritual with her. So I'm wondering if it's male, and not female like I thought. No pink on the belly now, and the other male hasn't been following this fish as much either, and is now attached to the new female.

Edit:
Short pelvic fins leads me to believe female, but other than that, can't tell anything....

29g168.jpg

Wolf, your rams have been doing so much spawning that you may have created a hybrid....lol

She (assuminng she is a she) definitely has characteristics of both. Has Bolivian features but red eyes like a GBR.

I agree...the markings are that of a GBR (eyes, speckles) but, the head shape protrusions are that of a Bolivian. :shock: Looks female to me too.

Maybe it's time to call in the ACA? :)

is this an offspring of one of your breeding?

is it possible that it is a GBR-Bolivian Hybrid?

i think it is theoretically possibly to get one... although i have not found anyone who can back that up, i have researched the idea a little since i too keep bolivians and GBR together

i have heard of stranger hybrids.

it could also just be some recessive gene showing itself, is your pair related?

Nope, cannot be a hybrid. They were never in the same tank together. GBR's were in the 10G and the Bolivians were in the 29G. The only time they were put together is as eggs, when I removed the eggs to the glass-bottom 10G.

Lonewolfblue said:
Nope, cannot be a hybrid. They were never in the same tank together. GBR's were in the 10G and the Bolivians were in the 29G. The only time they were put together is as eggs, when I removed the eggs to the glass-bottom 10G.
well that solves that part...my vote then is GBR, but expressing some unusual traits

Gold Ram? Yeah, yeah... I know that it is the same species as the German Blue Ram but just a different color variant.

To me it looks like a female. The faces of females seem to be more elongated than that of males. The fins also say female to me. Any idea on the age of the fish?

Definitely not a gold ram, and not a Bolivian either... subdominant male GBR, maybe?

bs6749 said:
Gold Ram? Yeah, yeah... I know that it is the same species as the German Blue Ram but just a different color variant.

To me it looks like a female. The faces of females seem to be more elongated than that of males. The fins also say female to me. Any idea on the age of the fish?

Age is 3 months....

LOL.....

My guess is a female that likes other females, lol. It competes with the male for the other female, lol.

thats defintly a little lady. She's got a nice round pink belly. She sure is pretty, whatever she is :D

Back
Top Bottom