I sure hope someone can help me in time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briandh76

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I'm about ready to give up on sw.... :cry: I have a major issue. I was looking at my bio-wheel attahed to my fluval 403 and noticed it wasn't turning so I pulled the hose out of the water and nothing. I then proceded to check the filter itself and it was HOT and not working. So I unplugged it and tore the top off. I took the impeller out and cleaned what little bit of gook was on it off. I put it back together and it's running but it will run for like 15mins then stop. If I unplug it for about5 mins or so it will run again. All but 1 fish is in the qt so I'm not concerend about the fish. All my inverts is what I'm concered about. I'm going to hook the magnum 250 up and run it for now. Will that be ok untill I can gather the money up to buy a new fluval or other filter. May take me anywhere from 2 days to a week to get the money.
After battling ich and this I'm feed up. Please tell me It'll get better... :cry: :cry: :cry:

You don't need the bio-wheel itself. The filter sounds like it's overheating. If so, get rid of it. Use whatever you have for now(mag 250) and just keep up on the water changes till you can get another filter. And yes it will get better. You just have to learn from your mistakes and remember that you are trying to recreate an eco system that was not intended to be in such a small space and it will have it's problems until you get the proper balance.

How much LR do you have and do you have PH for water movement? A mechanical filter is not required if you have 1.5-2lbs per gallon of LR and a skimmer. I plan on removing my canister filter once I get my closed loop setup for circulation.

Sounds like the motor is shot. Have you called fluval? Depending on how old it is you might get warranty service. Good luck.

My bio-wheel on my 10 gallon acted up the other day. It isn't even very old. It stopped working so I took it apart and cleaned it. Then it was fine.

I think I may get a aquaclear filter for it if it happens again.

I got the fluval working. I stayed up with it most of the night. So far so good. Hopefully it will be ok untill i get a new filter l8r in the week.
I only have 40 lbs of lr so far.

the impeller must rotatate on the shaft. precipitates can stop this. when you remove the impeller remove the shaft and clean both in either vinegar or clr. i prefer clr it is faster. obviously, always rinse very well before reassembling and putting back on line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom