I think I need to boost my KH a bit for CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read about using baking soda. Is there a formula for how much around here? Isn't baking soda NaHCO3 Won't the sodium hurt the fish?

DIY CO2
Tank has KH of 2-3
PH around 7 at end of photperiod yesterday....going to measure in right before lights come on to see how big the swing is(if there is any). Right now I am using the hagen system which is too small for my 29 gal, but I suppliment with excel. May move to larger DIY system soon, or two hagen tied together. (they look so nice and neat)

Tap water has PH of 6.8
KH of 1
PO4 of 4 ppm (which makes the CO2 calc useless for me)

I would buffer it a little. My kh is 3 and I bump it up to 5 just to be on the safe side. I add the baking soda and have seen no ill effexts on my plants. Here is a calculator.

I'd be very interested as well to see the pH in the morning (right before the lights come on). I have tap water between 1-3 degrees KH and my pH would bounce from 7.2 to 6.2-6.4 before using baking soda. While not harmful for the fish most likely (its a VERY debatable topic), I was worried about the effectiveness of the nitrifying bacteria (they begin to slow/stop metabolizing at that low level pH).

I now keep my KH between 5-6 degrees normally (fluctuates a bit with my water changes and poor measurements), and the pH does not drop below 6.4.

I'd recommend bumping the value up a bit. FYI I think I use 1/2 teaspoon for 5 gallon PWC, but use the calc for more accurate numbers.

And YEESH! that PO4 number in your tap is just asking for problems with algae. I just overdosed phosphate in my tank about 3 weeks ago and it caused all sorts of problems (brush/BBA). You may need to implement a PO4 reducing step prior to addition to the tank (pads or something that specifically remove phosphate). I'd be more worried about this than the pH!

Remember, a 50 gallon tank does not have 50 gallons of water in it. Using a calculator based on your full tank size may cause you to overdose. Raising Kh with Baking soda, you are better off mixing water in a known container, say a 5 gallon jug, then adding the mixed water to your tank. This also lets you test the water before it is added. A nice safety in case of miscalculations.

Zezmo said:
Remember, a 50 gallon tank does not have 50 gallons of water in it. Using a calculator based on your full tank size may cause you to overdose. Raising Kh with Baking soda, you are better off mixing water in a known container, say a 5 gallon jug, then adding the mixed water to your tank. This also lets you test the water before it is added. A nice safety in case of miscalculations.

For my 20 gallon I have no need for a python and thus use a 5 gallon bucket. I pull out 5 gallons of tank water, and replace in with 5 gallons of tap water. I add all ferts and dechlor to this bucket and mix prior to addition to my tank.

Even for starters this should never be a problem since you should NEVER raise your KH drastically in a short period of time.

7Enigma said:
And YEESH! that PO4 number in your tap is just asking for problems with algae. I just overdosed phosphate in my tank about 3 weeks ago and it caused all sorts of problems (brush/BBA). You may need to implement a PO4 reducing step prior to addition to the tank (pads or something that specifically remove phosphate). I'd be more worried about this than the pH!

Yeah...I had a bad case of pea soup for a while. I used po4 absorbing media, but now I just keep my nitrates at least 10:1 and no problems since.

7Enigma said:
Even for starters this should never be a problem since you should NEVER raise your KH drastically in a short period of time.

Yes, I added only 1/8 tsp to start. I estimate my 29 has somewhere around 20-25 gals in it. I'll add some more every 12 hours or so and test in between.

What a handy thread.
Hahaha, I feel silly starting mine now with all the info here :p
Love'n the pre mix in the bucket idea. Great idea.
Hope it all goes well.
Ry.

fastfly48,

It's the best way to do it IMO if you have a small tank. Python's while great tools for large water changes (in big tanks) are not really worth the trouble for my 20 gallon. I also prefer to have everything mixed outside of the tank (especially the dechlor) so that the fish don't get shocked with a concentrated amount of some nutrient/chemical.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom