I think I'm on right on track!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grape

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think I'm right on track!

Some of you may know me, from this:

Ammonia, Or No Ammonia? That Is the Question. (Although I left out the "r". :p)

Well, after doing a 100% water change twice, to make sure I got those surfactants out, I sort of restarted. I got the Ace ammonia, and on the 5th day I'm starting to see Nitrites! I'm pretty amazed, because I didn't think I'd see them for a while, but I guess I had some bacteria growth already from before. Also I have a couple of plants in there from other tanks.

Here's my charts as of now.

Ph: 7.3 (It dropped to this, after being 8 on at the start.)
Ammonia: 2.5 (Started at 3)
Nitrites: 0.20

I haven't tested Nitrates. I figured it was too soon.

I read that it was better to keep ammonia at 3 or 4, rather than 5. So what do think my next plan of action is? I wasn't really going to add any ammonia until tomorrow. I was just so excited about seeing Nitrites, I had to share!

How can I raise my pH if it gets too low? Below 7 or 6 too low? pH Up safe to use?

I'm really happy!

Last edited:
no chemicals to raise PH. for you I think just a water change is all you will need. we will have to see if it keeps dropping. do you have drift wood in there? (couldn't remember) and also have you tested your tap water? take a bowl, let it sit out overnight or so and then test your PH. let us know what you get.
I think the add ammonia tomorrow sounds good, but I will let jlk or librarygirl chime in here and help you out! they know so much more than me!!
congrats on the nitrites!!

Your off to a great start! Keeping your amm @4 is generally recommended unless we start seeing issues with ph crashes. You will need to do a ph test on your tap to see where it actually sits. Set out some tap water. If you have an extra airstone or bubbler, put this in the tap water. If you dont, just give it a good stir whenever you remember to do so. Leave it out atleast overnight (up to 24hrs) and then check the ph & let us know what it reads.

No ph chemicals are needed. Once we know where your ph actually sits (from the test), we will know if 7.3 is accurate or if its dropped signifigantly. Water changes are the best route to keep your ph stable unless it starts crashing regularly- if this is the case, then you can add some crushed coral or argonite to your filter to help stabilize your ph. But, we are not there yet, so dont worry! Keep up the good work! :)

I have no drift wood in the tank.

I would still have to add the water conditioner to the water I'm adding, right? It seems like a silly question, but I figure it's better to ask, than screw something up.

I'll the put the water out tonight, and post the latest results tomorrow.

Thanks! I heard about people testing their tap water, but I didn't know you had to let it set.

You just need to let the tap sit for just the ph test- the rest of the tests its not required. Yes, always condition the water your adding to your tank- better safe than sorry & its a good habit to be in anyway. :)

I tested my tap water this morning.There's hardly a difference between 6.8 & 7.0 on the color chart. I'd say my tap water is between the the two, or right on 7. I wrote down 7.

Today's results on my tank water, are looking great. I dosed the ammonia up to about 4 yesterday afternoon.

pH: 7.6 (Yay!)
Ammonia: 4.0 (maybe a little less)
Nitrites: 0.70 (Almost 1.0)

Everything seems to be going well. I'm worried now though, because I'm going to be out of town for about a week, soon. Hopefully it will be done soon. If not I'll have to show my FIL how to keep it stable.

so your tap has a PH of 7.0 and your tank has a PH of 7.6???

that doesn't make sense to me...

Ammonia is very, very alkaline so it can play a role in a higher ph. What are you using as a substrate? Some sands can cause a rise in ph as well. I wouldnt be to concerned about the ph right now as this is a fishless cycle- just watch for drops below 7. :)

Today's Results:

pH: 7.4
Ammo: 4.0
Nitrites: 2.0
Nitrates: Between 0-5.0 Maybe 3.0?

So, I'm a little worried about the ammonia. I thought it would be going down faster. Especially since I'm already seeing Nitrates. Is this looking normal? I think I might get some argonite this week, just to be on the safe side.

I followed all the instructions correctly for the nitrates. I even banged the second bottle a little bit. My arms were a bit sore after the whole test. haha

Anyway, hope this looks right.

Your ph is fine right now- no worries yet! Just have some patience- it can take awhile for the amm to steadily start dropping. Everything looks fine! :)

Results 2-27

2/27/12
pH: 6.8
Ammo: 3
Nitrites: 5
Nitrates: 15

Looks like my pH is dropping. Water change?​

Today's results.

pH: 7.6 (Staying that way, and not continually dropping, after I added aragonite.)
ammo: 2.0
Nitrite: Over 5.0 (Been off the charts for the past two days.)

Now the Nitrates results are confusing me. How long do you usually have to wait to see results. I waited 5 minutes, and it stayed yellow, which I didn't think was good. I've been seeing some nitrates, and then none?

When I got home this evening, I noticed it had turned orange. It rose from 15 yesterday, to 30ppm today. Is this alright, legit? Did it just change from sitting all day?

Im glad your ph is staying stable! Ok- for now, lets not worry too much about your nitrates. The main focus is your amm & nitrite and whether they are dropping or not. So, just keep a tab on them & where they are going (or not going). Check your nitrates again in a couple of days & see how they look. :)

Oh, my ammonia started dropping like crazy! Yesterday morning it had dropped below 1. So I'm watching those carefully.

Thanks for sticking with me through this! :)

Grape said:
Thanks for sticking with me through this! :)

I think being able to "report" on what's going on with the numbers is the only thing that makes fishless cycling bearable. It's too tedious for my taste but beats the alternative.

Back
Top Bottom