I think my brown clown goby is showing ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benamayer said:
Ok Schism, I'm going to go get a new filter and tank. A LFS has a used 20 gallon for $12. Not bad. I don't want to take my chances with copper, so I'm going to start over. This sucks. So how does the hypo process go? Could you give me a timeline maybe? Do I mix water in the QT at 1.009 and drip acc the fish, or have it match the main tank and slowly lower it through water changes? Any help on this is great, no clue what I'm doing lol :cool:

Heres a link for more details on Hypo treatment.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...nts/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

As for a timeline. Minimum of 4 weeks hypo or copper treatment. Ich has about 28 day life cycle.

A new sponge will take a good week or so to build up a decent bacteria colony but water changes will take care of any ammonia build up. Just keep an eye on ammonia obviously.

Hope that answers some questions.

Schism said:
Heres a link for more details on Hypo treatment.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

As for a timeline. Minimum of 4 weeks hypo or copper treatment. Ich has about 28 day life cycle.

A new sponge will take a good week or so to build up a decent bacteria colony but water changes will take care of any ammonia build up. Just keep an eye on ammonia obviously.

Hope that answers some questions.

That confuses me now lol.. I've watched some lectures from large aquarium/zoos that treat incoming wild fish by a 30 minute bath in 1.009 with 0 acclimation for removal of parasites which this thread says hypo can not treat. Although if acclimated then it wouldn't from my knowledge because as I said the parasites can also acclimate.

Mrc8858 said:
That confuses me now lol.. I've watched some lectures from large aquarium/zoos that treat incoming wild fish by a 30 minute bath in 1.009 with 0 acclimation for removal of parasites which this thread says hypo can not treat. Although if acclimated then it wouldn't from my knowledge because as I said the parasites can also acclimate.

An quote from the thread

The hyposalinity treatment only treats a very limited number of ciliated parasites. The most notable in this group is Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans). The home aquarist will not be using hyposalinity to treat any other disease or condition. Is this clear? I'll write it again -- hyposalinity cures ONLY Marine Ich.

Perhaps thats somewhat clears up confusion??

Ok update... Got home, goby does not look hot at all. Purchased a 15 gallon plus filter for $17, running out to get water to replace what's in my main tank... Time for Hypo-active lol :cool:

No begins the journey of undoing my live rock to
catch these guys...

So I went to my LFS and had a nice chat with them. I ended up setting up a QT, but I'm gonna try to put only the goby in there and medicate him only... Stay tuned!

Put him in for now and see if you can get him healed up however I will tell you that from what I know (and maybe someone else knows better), the only way you will be ich free is if you take all the fish out at once, treat them as they've all been exposed, and wait out the parasites life cycle. Unfortunately, you will probably have issues with different fish until you do. Fish that have had ich can build up resistance but it's only for a little while. Eventually they can be infected again. :(

Yea I know! I just don't even know if it IS ich... That's the kicker. Goin through all the QT for nothing ya know?

After looking at the pictures i dont think its ich. However, i dont think QT will be for nothing. I think its just a discoloration of the body/fins, but i dont know why. I think the best think you can do at this point is seperate him from your other fish (which are probably more agressive eaters then the goby) and feed the clown goby garlic soaked mysis/pellets or whatever else you feed him. Wether it is ich or not, garlic can only help the fish. Make sure the temp/perams are stable and see how he does. If its ich i would use hypo, but like i said before, i doesnt look like any case of ich i have ever seen. Good luck to you, i hope anything i said was helpful.

Definitely helpful Nu thanks! I gotta try to catch him. I got Melafix to medicate him, just waiting for the QT to settle a bit...

Im with nu nu. Does not look like ich. More like a blotchy discoloration which can be from any number of things. However would keep an eye on it to see if it progresses. If it stays as is i would not worry much, if you start to see it becoming worse then it might be something to treat. Right now your probably just best to quarantine him and see how he does.

What's a good way to catch him? It seems ear impossible to do without removing all the live rock??

Yea good call he just doesn't swim real close to the top but he does come out... Thanks :cool:

Back
Top Bottom