I think my fishless cycle has stalled, help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just checked my tank again!!! I have nitrites and nitrates!!!! They are not very high but there is some in there. pH is still around 6.6-6.8 and the ammonia went down to 2.0 ppm. But the nitrites are .25ppm and the nitrates are 5ppm!

Good! Leave ammonia for now; let's see if we can get it to drop more and check it again tomorrow night. Try to keep PH where it is at least; if it drops more do a large water change or add more coral.

After leaving a sample of tank water out for 24 hrs:

pH- 6.4
Ammonia- 2.0ppm
Nitrites-.25ppm
Nitrates-5.0ppm

Current in tank

pH- 6.6
Ammonia- 1.0ppm
Nitrites-.25ppm
Nitrates-5.0ppn

You have some nitrites, that's good. I'm still a bit concerned about your PH but I'm not sure if the cycle is dropping it or if that's the normal PH of your tap water. Have you tried leaving a glass of TAP water out for 24 hours and then testing PH? If not, can you do that so we can compare the tap's PH with the tank's PH?

Ok yes I just put a sample of my tap water out. I'll test it tomorrow. I just checked my tank I have amazing results:

pH:6.6
Ammonia:3.0ppm
Nitrites:1.0ppm
Nitrates:10ppm

ooh, looks promising! Nitrite rising is a good thing :) Let us know what the results of the PH tap test and the tank tests are tomorrow.

Tap water: regularly

pH-8.2
Ammonia-.5ppm
Nitrites and nitrates-0ppm

Tap after 24 hours:

pH-7.4
Ammonia-.5ppm
Nitrites and nitrates-0ppm

Ok good so your tank's PH should be about 7.4, so I'm guessing the drop to mid-6's is due to the cycle. Keep a close eye on it and if it falls anymore do a large water change to get it up, maybe add more coral too.

I did a 50% water change yesterday and my pH is still 6.4. I have a lot of crushed coral in there. The coral is kinda old though. Like a year or 2. Should I get more?

Don't know what to do :/

Should I change my filter cartridges? Or at least rinse then off?

TeamTIV02 said:
I did a 50% water change yesterday and my pH is still 6.4. I have a lot of crushed coral in there. The coral is kinda old though. Like a year or 2. Should I get more?

Don't know what to do :/

Should I change my filter cartridges? Or at least rinse then off?

If you do. Only in tank water. Give the coral time you can also add more. As long as you stabilize the ph your good. 6.4 is going to stall or continue the stall.

I am debating doing another water change tonight. I just did one the other day. That one was only 50% though. Should i do another one so soon. if so how much?

My pH was still 6.4 last night when i checked it. Nitrites and Nitrates went back down to 0. Ammonia was .50ppm but i added some last night.

I want to hurry up and get this done. I know i am being impatient but its been over a month and a half. :banghead:

:fish2::fish2::fish2:

I just finished cycling my tank last month and my ph crashed. I added some bicarbonate of soda to my tank, brought it up to 7.4. Loads of info on the web.

Wow Stevedocs!! I just added the bicarbonate of soda and my pH went from 6.0 to 7.4!!!

Ammonia: 8.0ppm(I know, I added to much but I put alittle ammonia remover to bring the amount down a little)
Nitrites:0ppm
Nitrates:0ppm

That's good the bacteria like a higher ph to multiply. Just keep an eye on the ph now and be patient. You may wanna do a 50% water change to get the ammonia down to around 4ppm, just make sure the water you add is of a similar ph though.
Good luck, hopefully you will be done by Christmas :)

image-915220578.jpg

Do a 50% water change to get that ammonia down; a level that high could stall the cycle. Nothing removes ammonia; it'll just make it less toxic if you had fish (although at levels that high even an ammonia remover wouldn't make a difference).

So your coral is a year old? lol Ok that explains it. The buffering capacity of the coral lasts a few months so it needs to be replaced to be affective. The bicarbonate of soda is a good temporary solution but you'll need to add it frequently and it doesn't evaporate. I'd just replace the coral. I think once you get the PH stabilized the cycle should finish up.

That's good the bacteria like a higher ph to multiply. Just keep an eye on the ph now and be patient. You may wanna do a 50% water change to get the ammonia down to around 4ppm, just make sure the water you add is of a similar ph though.
Good luck, hopefully you will be done by Christmas :)

View attachment 135308
Thanks for the advice. I hope I can get some fish by Christmas

Just tested my tank again:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia:4.0ppm
Nitrites: Maybe 2.0 (pinkish red color)
Nitrates: 40ppm

Just a quick question:

What should the numbers be after my tank is completely cycled? After it does finally finish cycling, what should I do to prep it for fish? I have 4 fish that I want to move up stairs. I have a pictus catfish, a blue dwarf gourami, and 2 blood parrots. I plan on getting a common Pleco, a rainbow shark, and a couple more catfish and gouramis.

Could someone give the proper numbers (such temp and ph) for a rainbow shark. Also some advice on how to properly care for one.

Just tested again

pH:7.8
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm

Does this mean its almost cycled? Ammonia and nitrites basically vanished over night. And there isn't much but there is some nitrates. How much longer do I have? I am so ready for fish.

Also, should I add more ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom