I want Algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i am currently setting up an lake malawi cichlid tank for my classroom. i have not settled on the fish yet, but will probably go with yellow labs and peacocks... anyways i have a lot of rock work, and since the fish will no doubt destroy any plants (like java moss) i add, i want to encourage green algae to grow on my rocks....any ideas on the best way to do this? and avoid, some of the other (and in my opinion less attractive algaes)

the tank will not be near a window, and will be running about 0.83 wpg...

idea to get algae cover rocks for a more aged and "natural" look?

My tank was low light and I accidentally overfertilized with leaf zone and the algae just took off. You could definately promote it through over-fertilization, limited light, and limited CO2.

Well your best bet is to make sure you have a fully cycled tank PRIOR to attempting to grow algae. The ammonia would readily cause GW and a host of other algae.

Your also going to first have to probably deal with diatoms if this is a new tank, and they will most likely coat your rocks before you could establish a "nice" green fuzz algae.

I've not yet run into a way to cultivate this algae type without also having other less attractive algae. What I've found is in a properly fert balanced tank (planted of course), this type of algae ebbs and flows with the rest. So in an unplanted tank, I think its going to be difficult to "choose" this.

Your best bet might be to seed your tank with existing algae that you want, and keep your lights on for a good portion of the day (greater than 12hours). Maybe buy a trace mix such as CSM+B or flourish comprehensive if your source water is treated (ie RO).

But I think it will ultimately come down to pure luck on this one.

7Enigma said:
Well your best bet is to make sure you have a fully cycled tank PRIOR to attempting to grow algae. The ammonia would readily cause GW and a host of other algae.

Your also going to first have to probably deal with diatoms if this is a new tank, and they will most likely coat your rocks before you could establish a "nice" green fuzz algae.

I've not yet run into a way to cultivate this algae type without also having other less attractive algae. What I've found is in a properly fert balanced tank (planted of course), this type of algae ebbs and flows with the rest. So in an unplanted tank, I think its going to be difficult to "choose" this.

Your best bet might be to seed your tank with existing algae that you want, and keep your lights on for a good portion of the day (greater than 12hours). Maybe buy a trace mix such as CSM+B or flourish comprehensive if your source water is treated (ie RO).

But I think it will ultimately come down to pure luck on this one.
i will probaly instant cycle with filter media from one of my other tanks...

i could definetly use some flourish, and i was thinking of seeding, i just need to find something to seed with :?

You could just let me take care of your tank for a while. The only thing I can keep growning in my tank is algae!

lol jaybird. i over did it with floursih, but i ended up with the hairy kind of algae. i had lots of light helping out as well.

Jaybird said:
You could just let me take care of your tank for a while. The only thing I can keep growning in my tank is algae!
want to take a vacation to southern minnesota? :D

Back
Top Bottom