Ich and my Copperband Butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just bought a CBB yesterday and put him in the QT. He's been eating mysis really well, so that's good. I add garlic guard to eat feeding.

This morning I noticed white spots on the side, tail fins and the long one on the back.

Tank params are

PH 8.2
Amm .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate no test
SG 1.016
Temp 80 and raising to 86

So far I've started raising temp slowly. I added him to a SG if 1.016 yesterday to shock any parasites. The ammonia was .5 this morning despite my seeding the sponge filter for about 5 days. A 50% PWC knocked down the ammonia and I initially added a dose of Prime to counteract the ammonia.

He's doing well, still eating and swimming normally.

I was considering doing another 50% PWC again tonight and dipping him in Fresh RO water to kill the parasites.

I really want to avoid using Cupramine.

Thoughts?

Raising the temps in SW does absolutely nothing. Find a good stable temp and leave it there. The salinity needs to get to 1.009 to be effective IME. Drop it down very slowly but keep that temp around 78-80 and stable.

Also are you using a refractometer to measure?

How often can I do water changes in a day? How slowly do I need to drop salinity?

My refractometer is in the mail. I'm using. Swing arm for now and trying to find a glass one.

Don't Rush the drop in salinity until you have that refractometer because a small swing can kill your fish! The swing arms are ok for the tank but when your doing hypo you need a very precise measurement and I wouldn't trust the swing arm.

Hydrometer will not work for dropping salinity. Wait for your refractometer so you know you`ll be precise. Hydrometer can be .005 off in most cases.

I still need to do pwc for the ammonia. Is two changes in one day too much? First 50% then 25%?

Got my refractometer. The tank is at 1.011 and I'm slowly going to finish the drop to 1.009 today.

The Ich is still on the CBB so I should be ok with timing. I figure once they drop off, i'll wait 5-6 weeks for them to die off and then It will be safe to increase salinity and then add the CBB to the DT.

i have a small piece of LR in the QT. Can they attach to that when they drop off and should i remove?

melosu58 said:
You cant go by when they fall off as once gourged they fall off and over 200 come from each one. You`ll need to do it till you dont see any for a few weeks. Here are a link on it.

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

Yes, but im to get an idea of timeline. It's been more than the 3-7 day consensus and he's starting to rub against the PVC

You can leave the LR in there if it makes them more comfortable. It won't matter what's in the tank cause the salinity is so low the ich cannot survive no matter what they attach to. Ich is such a tricky little parasite almost like fleas for a cat they can only be killed in certain life stages so that's why it's suggested to wait such a long period of time. he may be rubbing off the parasites and that would be good :) how long have they been in there?

Are they ok in there? Are the water parameters good? I'd keep them in it as long as you can so this way it increases the chances of successfully getting rid of it. If you take them out to soon then you'll be at step 1 all over again :(

He's doing fine. Water changes keep ammonia in check and I've got temp at 78 and PH at 8.3.

The Ich has gotten bigger and I'm just looking for more insight into the process from other people's experience.

The tank is cloudy. And I saw some filmy white stuff on the suction cups. Parameters are good, I don't use lights.

Any ideas?

As far as I have read the cloudiness could be a bacterial or algae bloom or fungus or mold from rotting food. Have you tried
Cleaning it and doing a pwc to see if it is? Is the tank completely empty?

Back
Top Bottom