Ich from chain store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I VERY rarely buy ANY fishes from the chain stores, OR lfs. Usually I go to local breeders. And yesterday I realized why. My fiance came home with 20 neons for one of my 55 gallon tanks. Needless to say, they went straight into quarantine seeing as how 7 of the 20 are covered with Ich. How can these places sell fishes like this?! They even went so far as to tell my fiance that they treat all of their water and they would be fine when he got them home? I'm not as dumb as my fiance. Hehe! My question, if these fishes are constantly being medicated, are they going to be more prone to Ich or other disease in the future? I'm leary about adding them to the 55 gallon at all. Maybe I'm just going overboard?? I hate chain stores. :/

I know that guppies are more prone to diseases, but idk about neons. They're small enough to be. At least in my opinion. I normally buy larger fish cause i've had problems with little fish with ick.

smileyface9 said:
I know that guppies are more prone to diseases, but idk about neons. They're small enough to be. At least in my opinion. I normally buy larger fish cause i've had problems with little fish with ick.

Well 10 of the 20 died after the first day. I went back in and told the manager and he said that more than half of their fish do, and that there's nothing he could do about it. He offered me 20 more, for free. I had to turn that offer down. I don't want to see fishes die because I needed them that badly, makes me sad.

kelbaker79 said:
Well 10 of the 20 died after the first day. I went back in and told the manager and he said that more than half of their fish do, and that there's nothing he could do about it. He offered me 20 more, for free. I had to turn that offer down. I don't want to see fishes die because I needed them that badly, makes me sad.

More than half of their fish do, meaning, have Ick...

kelbaker79 said:
More than half of their fish do, meaning, have Ick...

Wow :( they should have just gave you your money back! If i were you I would have pushed for my money back and gave them the live fish back.

smileyface9 said:
Wow :( they should have just gave you your money back! If i were you I would have pushed for my money back and gave them the live fish back.

Right, I should have. I just wanted to get out of there before I got too mad :/

kelbaker79 said:
Right, I should have. I just wanted to get out of there before I got too mad :/

I understand that :( i would have been more mad at the manager than the worker, because they should be making sure the employees are doing things right. My local fish store treats their fish if they're sick and don't sell them when they're in a quorintine tank. I guess the thought is what counts :) your husband was trying to suprise you, but maybe didn't know how bad brand stores can get with fish diseases?

The chains are mostly for getting the money from the beginners who dont know better. Do not take offense to what i said though because even i get from a chain, i just take a good look at the tank to look for dead fish, signs of bad water, and unhealthy fish.

Link119 said:
The chains are mostly for getting the money from the beginners who dont know better. Do not take offense to what i said though because even i get from a chain, i just take a good look at the tank to look for dead fish, signs of bad water, and unhealthy fish.

So do I. :) If the fish look unhealthy, like they can't swim right, or there are dead ish i don't buy from that tank. Now that I'm older I take more precautions than when I started out. I started out at age 10. I caught on fast, but it took me a while to realize chain stores can be iffy.

smileyface9 said:
I understand that :( i would have been more mad at the manager than the worker, because they should be making sure the employees are doing things right. My local fish store treats their fish if they're sick and don't sell them when they're in a quorintine tank. I guess the thought is what counts :) your husband was trying to suprise you, but maybe didn't know how bad brand stores can get with fish diseases?

Yes, he had no idea...lol. Thought that counts :)

Link119 said:

I agree 100%! My fiance just didn't know unfortunately, fish keeping isn't really his thing...

Back
Top Bottom