Ich help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leafy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I’ve done some dumb things, I’ll get that out of the way right now. I have no hospital/quarantine tank. Yes, I am inexperienced.

I first got my betta a week ago, and didn’t quarantine him. About 10:30pm, I noticed he had ich. It could have been because he was stressed out because he was still sorta new, or the new anubias nana plant I put in. I didn’t think much about it initially because I thought it might just be some of my white sand, but that wasn’t the case.

I raised the temperature in my tank to 84 and added some aquarium salt. I don’t have any ich medicine, not that it would be very effective since I have carbon media in.

I checked the tank just now (Almost 2:30am) and my betta is much worse. He had maybe 5 white spots in a centralized area before, but now they’re all over his body. He hasn’t moved from his spot in over an hour. The immense progression of ich in just in hour is seriously freaking me out. I have other fish in the tank too.

I’m seriously worried and this anxiety is killing me. Money is tight right now because my workplace is temporarily closed.

10:30pm vs. 2:20am ich progress
9phSbKi.jpg

Hello, I only use salt & heat for ich. Remove plants salt kills. If you keep them in separate container for 4+days the parasite will die w/nothing to feed on. I slowly raise temp a few degrees an hour to I reach 86-88°. I have salt sensitive fish so I use 1 teaspoon per gallon but on tolerant fish you can use 3. I dissolve in tank water & add 1/4 solution every few hrs when raising heat so fish can acclimate to salt. When treating I do water changes & gravel vac every 2 days to remove any dead or dying parasite. Make sure to replace any salt taken out by water changes. I usually treat 7 days after all signs of disease have disappeared. Ich microscopic & will hide in gills.
Heat speeds up life cycle, salt dehydrates & kills the parasite at a sensitive stage. Hope this helps you!!!!!
So, I’ve done some dumb things, I’ll get that out of the way right now. I have no hospital/quarantine tank. Yes, I am inexperienced.

I first got my betta a week ago, and didn’t quarantine him. About 10:30pm, I noticed he had ich. It could have been because he was stressed out because he was still sorta new, or the new anubias nana plant I put in. I didn’t think much about it initially because I thought it might just be some of my white sand, but that wasn’t the case.

I raised the temperature in my tank to 84 and added some aquarium salt. I don’t have any ich medicine, not that it would be very effective since I have carbon media in.

I checked the tank just now (Almost 2:30am) and my betta is much worse. He had maybe 5 white spots in a centralized area before, but now they’re all over his body. He hasn’t moved from his spot in over an hour. The immense progression of ich in just in hour is seriously freaking me out. I have other fish in the tank too.

I’m seriously worried and this anxiety is killing me. Money is tight right now because my workplace is temporarily closed.

10:30pm vs. 2:20am ich progress
9phSbKi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom