ICH! How to treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Moms tank got ich after a pretty drastic upgrade (26 to 56 gallons). So now I need to know how to treat it. I want to use the salt and heat method but need to know how. The stocking list includes mollies, platies, glowfish (zebra danios), otos, and pygmy corydoras. I dont want anyone to die of salt poisoning or over heat so please advise!
Thanks in advance and God bless!

GodFan said:
My Moms tank got ich after a pretty drastic upgrade (26 to 56 gallons). So now I need to know how to treat it. I want to use the salt and heat method but need to know how. The stocking list includes mollies, platies, glowfish (zebra danios), otos, and pygmy corydoras. I dont want anyone to die of salt poisoning or over heat so please advise!
Thanks in advance and God bless!

First check your parameters.

Do we need to add salt? Also I dont have a test kit (I know I know its on my list) but the tank was just set up 2 days ago (no seeded filter because things were crazy)

GodFan said:
Do we need to add salt? Also I dont have a test kit (I know I know its on my list) but the tank was just set up 2 days ago (no seeded filter because things were crazy)

Well that's what's brought on the ich! The tank is cycling and the ammonia is probably high. At least 50% PWC daily from now on and you REALLY need a test kit (as I've said before). Without an established filter on the tank those fish are going to have to go through a fish in cycle and battle ich at the same time. Some might not make it. I wouldn't bother with the salt because of the cories but if you decide to use it use half a dose. Half a dose is 1 (flat not heaped) tablespoon per 10gallons of tank water. Dissolve it into a container of tank water and add it slowly a little bit at a time over 1-2 days.

Ammonia that fast? I thought it would take longer? Maybe Ill try and seed it...... just trying to think how.....

GodFan said:
Ammonia that fast? I thought it would take longer? Maybe Ill try and seed it...... just trying to think how.....

Yes that fast. That is why you need daily PWC now. I'm treating a goldfish and the meds have whipped out some of my BB. 3 2inch goldies in a 40g and ammonia is building to 1ppm in 12-24 hours. A cycling tank can be deadly if not dealt with correctly.

ok thanks! I thought I had a pretty good idea of how to cycle but I guess not!

No thanks I saw the one by JetaJockey. Probably just got a little Know it all ish lol

Back
Top Bottom