Treating fin rot and Ich at the same time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhowell21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was away from my fish tank for about 48 hours and got back this morning to them to find out one of my cory catfish had died and the two other fish in the tank had developed what looks to be fin rot and Ich. This had happened to them before in the past and went away within 4-5 days after treating with API super ich cure, so I began that treatment once again right away this morning. I currently have the carbon filter removed but the filtration itself is continuing to run. I also have an air pump in the form of a volcano running in the tank for aeration. Temperatures are at 80-82 degree Fahrenheit at the moment. With all of that as pre-text, my question today is: should I perform a water change today now too, or wait the 48 hours that the ich cure recommends? I only ask instead of simply following the ich cure guidelines because I know fin rot can be helped by improving the water quality and doing a water change. Any feedback on how to help my poor guys out would be appreciated!!

FYI- I guess I should mention that one fish is a neon tetra and the other is a large female Angelfish in what I think is a 20 gallon tank. Very strange combination of tank mates I know, but I inherited these fish and their tank from someone I work with and want to keep them as healthy as possible!

I am a little bit worried that I should have tried to deal with the fin rot with a water change and the API fin & body cure before treating the tank with API Super Ich Cure, but will it make a difference by doing one before other? Meaning, after the 4-5 day Ich treatment period is over, can I and should I then begin to treat with fin rot medications over the weekends or is that going to be too much for the fish to handle?

Back
Top Bottom