Ich Medications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foshizzle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

Just got advice from the LFS and bought this product:
image-584820616.jpg

We have live plants and loaches and previously the other ich meds we used harmed our plants and ended up being too much for some of our fish who died under going ich treatment. So we were looking for a safe product.

What do you know about this product?

What do you use when you get ich?

Can too cold a temp cause new fish added to your tank to have ich?

We raised the temp and added salt to the water plus this treatment. It's day 1. We will update as we go.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm sorry I don't have any input. I wanted to comment so that I can follow the thread. My husband called me earlier saying he thinks our fish have ich & aside from some readingI don't know what products are best.

Good luck with your fish, I hope everything clears up!

Ya, no problem.

Apparently it is dormant, and only affects the fish when they are stressed but it seems weird that the other fish all seemed fine.

Anyway, we will keep you posted.

Hey,

Just got advice from the LFS and bought this product:

We have live plants and loaches and previously the other ich meds we used harmed our plants and ended up being too much for some of our fish who died under going ich treatment. So we were looking for a safe product.

What do you know about this product?

What do you use when you get ich?

Can too cold a temp cause new fish added to your tank to have ich?

We raised the temp and added salt to the water plus this treatment. It's day 1. We will update as we go.

Thanks for the feedback!

All I know is I have been told to turn the temp up a degree or 2 every day untill you are at 86 and let it stay there for awhile

I've cured ich twice with just heat as i have sensitive fish. I slowly raised the heat to 88 added an extra airstone for oxygen, and pwc with gravel vac every two days, kept the heat up an extra week after the last spot. I had no losses :)

I've cured ich twice with just heat as i have sensitive fish. I slowly raised the heat to 88 added an extra airstone for oxygen, and pwc with gravel vac every two days, kept the heat up an extra week after the last spot. I had no losses :)

More elaborate than what I said but I've never had it in my tank.

Does an air stone really add more oxygen to the water?

So far it looks like they are getting better and the loaches have less spots already. No deaths yet.

Yes the airstone helps, when you raise the heat there's less oxygen in the water. Good to hear your fish are doing well.

The spots will go away then come back with a vengance. The cysts fall off and reproduce, so it will look like its getting better, but its about to get worse. Slowly raise the temp and youll be fine, i dont use meds at all for ich. Just use high temps to kill it off.

Does an air stone really add more oxygen to the water?

So far it looks like they are getting better and the loaches have less spots already. No deaths yet.

Have you been using the Ich Attack per the instructions on the bottle? Have you been doing the heat/aquarium salt as well?

Yes, we are following the instructions on the bottle and slowly raising the temp. Currently the temp is at about 84. We added aquarium salts and lowered the water level slightly for more agitation at the surface as well as added an air stone.

We don't like chemicals much either and understand that this product takes a little longer than more aggressive meds.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Any idea if keeping the lights off help at all?

This med works, but works best the sooner you catch the ich. Just follow the instructions and don't stop treatment too soon. If the ich is really bad before you catch it, you may need something stronger, so the key is catching it right away.

I've used it lights on without a problem.

I lost my dwarf guarami Spongebob (my 4 year old named him) last night. :( The poor little guy had been struggling all day yesterday.

After a 20% water change this morning, another dose of ich attack, and a little more aquarium salt, the 3 mollies seem to be thriving. They still have spots, but are far more active, swimming and playing, than they have been since this all started.

I hope you tank is clearing up.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the posts.

It isn't really getting better. We think that a couple of the clown loaches won't make it tonight. They have been laying down on the bottom, on the sand and looks like they are dead. Its pretty weird to see them laying there then up and swimming a few mins later. Definitely acting weird.

A couple of our other fish have spots now too, we just hope that it stays isolated to the ones that have it and to those only. If the clown loaches and our new pleco that we bought from the LFS die we will be returning them since those are the fish that had ich first and have infected our other fish.

Blah! we will see what happens!

i been at it in my community tank a week now. doing all the same as you guys. lost 4 fish so far.

Ya, so far so good.

We keep thinking that the loaches are dead. They are laying on their side on the bottom of the tank sometimes and look dead until we try to remove them and they swim away. Been like that for a couple days.

We went to the LFS to ask a few question from where we got them and all their clown loaches were we got ours have ich. So obviously we got infected fish. Super lame!

Good news is that we haven't lost and fish yet.

We set up a quarantine tank today to avoid this problem in the future. I hate ich but it's pretty common and should go away pretty easily which is sweet.

So, just an update.

We were treating for ich with Ich Attack, aquarium salts and increased tank temp to 86 degrees.

We lost the 4 clown loaches and our blue panaque pleco. We returned the 4 clowns and pleco to the LFS and got store credit. We replaced the clown loaches that died with 4 new ones, but this time they are in a quarantine tank and will remain there for a few weeks until we feel they are healthy and ready to be put into the big tank.

None of our cichlids or butis butis crazy fish got ich, at least they never showed signs, but we will continue to keep the temp up and use the ich attack until the bottle is gone, so probably a week, just to make sure.

We couldn't find an affordable equivalent to the blue panaque so we bought 2 roseline sharks for our smaller community tank and a couple new cichlids. Nothing special really. We will miss the cool blue panaque, it was sweet!

So, just an update.

We were treating for ich with Ich Attack, aquarium salts and increased tank temp to 86 degrees.

We lost the 4 clown loaches and our blue panaque pleco. We returned the 4 clowns and pleco to the LFS and got store credit. We replaced the clown loaches that died with 4 new ones, but this time they are in a quarantine tank and will remain there for a few weeks until we feel they are healthy and ready to be put into the big tank.

None of our cichlids or butis butis crazy fish got ich, at least they never showed signs, but we will continue to keep the temp up and use the ich attack until the bottle is gone, so probably a week, just to make sure.

We couldn't find an affordable equivalent to the blue panaque so we bought 2 roseline sharks for our smaller community tank and a couple new cichlids. Nothing special really. We will miss the cool blue panaque, it was sweet!

Sorry to hear about your losses :(

Back
Top Bottom