Ich once again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DetroitRockCity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had ich twice now over the last few months and I am wondering if anyone can recommend some kind of medication that I can treat my tank with that wont harm my relatively new Biological filter? Iv had the tank for about 3 months and got ich about a week after my initial loading of fish. I lost about 10 fish all together. Using the 87 degree temp technique I was able to get rid of the ich so I thought. And just this past week after adding a school (6) of flame tetras the ich reappeared. I have once again raised the tank temp and now all obvious signs of the ich are gone, but I would like to try and end this cycle. If anyone knows of any good medications I would appreciate it.

Heat treatment only. Don't use meds. The reason ick re-appeared is because it came in on the new fish. Do the 87-89 degree heat treatment, leaving the temp up 2 weeks after you see the last spot disappear. This will ensure you get rid of the ick.

Thats what I thought, I don't want to use medications in my tank but the ich is frustrating. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a break in tank or something for new fish before I introduce them to the community tank.

DetroitRockCity said:
Thats what I thought, I don't want to use medications in my tank but the ich is frustrating. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a break in tank or something for new fish before I introduce them to the community tank.

It is called a QT tank, it it is an excellent idea. I keep all new arrivals in one for at least two weeks.

Yes, just get yourself a cheap 10G tank, no gravel or anything, and set it up as a QT tank. For the filter, you could run the media or cartrige in the current tank until it's needed, then place in the QT tank's filter. Instant cycle. Then after QT and moving the fish, clean the cartrige and boil to remove any possible contaminants, let cool, and place back into the main tanks filter til the next time, and then break down the QT tank til needed again.

I think thats what I'm going to have to do, thanks for all the info, this website has saved alot of my fish already, hopefully this idea will save a few more.

I keep my qt at 82-83 so that if ich is present it will show up fater, and its faster to bump it up to 88. After using a QT my premature fatalities have dropped 80-90% (except for that period of toxic water changes).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom