Ich or broken tail rays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up my first tank, a 56 gallon, last week and added my first fish on Tuesday 10/1. Fish are 6 skirt tetras, 3 black and 3 "gold"/white. Tank was not cycled first, it will be a gradual fish-in cycle. I haven't bought a testing kit yet so I am not sure of my exact parameters but I will be getting one soon.

A few hours after adding my fish, I noticed that 4 of them have smallish white dots on their tails. Assuming it was ich, and since they are the only tank inhabitants, I decided to treat with heat. The next day, I gradually brought the temperature from 79 to 86. All fish have been acting fine, eating and swimming normally since then. The spots have neither spread to the last 2 fish without spots, nor to the fins or bodies of the infected ones. Upon doing some heavy research today, I've come across some pictures of fish with broken tail rays that cause little white spots, and they look more like my fish than pictures of ich do. As far as I can tell, the spots aren't raised and like I said, they haven't spread at all in the past few days.

I'm including pictures in this post (or, at least I think I am - never done that before) to show you what I'm talking about. In the black skirt, there is just that one fuzzy dot on his tail. The white skirt has one in almost the exact same spot, another one close to it, and one sort of in the middle.

Can anyone help me figure out what it is? Or do I just have to wait it out and see what the spots do over the next week or so?

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom