ICH or Something else....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eykis9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Central IL - just 15 miles east of St. Louis, MO
one of my zebra danios has a white patch (abt 1/4 cm. x 1/4 cm.) on his back just behind his head. i've never dealt with ich but am thinking ich is more like tiny white spots in several places as opposed to just one fairly good sized patch.

any ideas what i might be dealing with & suggested treatment?

:?

Could be a couple of things....either a fungal infection or a bacterial one....I'd lean more toward the fungus. There are a number of good anti-fungal medications out there. Unfortunately the heat treatment won't help with a fungus because there's no free-swimming stage to interrupt.

thanks for the reply. after doing some research, i'm thinking it could either be "whitespot" or some sort of fungus. since only one fish seems to be effected, i cleaned my tank and moved the effected fish into quarantine. as suggested on a website, i'm treating the fish with salt and am closely watching my tank for any other problems, etc... i don't want to put salt in my tank if i can help it because i have cory's and from my research they don't tolerate salt well.

thanks again...

Sounds like you are taking the right approach, and I too would lean towards fungus. Kudos to you for keeping a Q-tank!

Back
Top Bottom