Ich question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added a fish to my tank and now they all have ich. I started a heat/salt treatment a few days ago and after much wear on the heater, I am holding steady at 86-87 degrees F. Fish are on day 3 of this temp and seem to be doing alright. (Lowered water for max filtration surface movement)

My question is based on my reading. I understand (exception of some strands in the parasite) that 85f stops the ich from breeding and 86 kills the ich. Can I assume that as the ich reaches the stage were it leave the host into free swimming form, that it will all die instantly? Mind you I am doing half doses of recommended aquarium salt because I have loaches...

I ask this because last time I had ich (years ago) I remember doing the heat treatment for 4-6 weeks. I would prefer to only do it 7-10 days this time around.

Thoughts?

Depending on what your air circulation is like you may need to add additional airstone/pump since the oxygen is reduced in high temperatures.

I just went through an episode with Ich. For mine I used 1 tsp/gallon, and built it up over several days. As well as increasing the temp a couple degrees a day for about 4/5 days. kept this temp until the last Ich spots were seen, then for 10 days, after that 10 days turned down the heat 2 degrees each day until it was back to 78/79F.

The plants suffered and the Mystery snails had to be removed, they went into my snail /plant vase and other tanks. Only lost one Cardinal from my group of 15 which appeared to have brought the Ich. And it was a scrawny looking one anyway.

I lost two snails, I think from when I was dosing the salt (it was dissolved into a water jug) into the tank and the concentrated salt water happened to hit them when they were near the tank top and I didn't notice them as I was focused on getting it into the filter flow, don't really know for sure...if you have any snails be careful.

Still cleaning out the salt water with pwc only dosing half back in at a time to reduce it gradually.

Unfortunately, unless you want to switch your course of treatment to an ich med, the salt and/or heat method will need to be maintained for a full course of treatment to eliminate all of the ich. Seven days simply will not be sufficient to remove it from your tank. Heat needs to be maintained for atleast a week after the last spot is gone. Increasing the salinity to .3% to treat ich needs to maintained for atleast a week after the last spot is gone as well. I dont think your loaches would be very happy with this amount of salt either. I would just stick to the course your on and follow it through to completion to ensure your tank is parasite free.

Ok so I bought a quarantine setup. If I remove all of the fish and put them in quarantine. How long do you think until the ich is out of the water column of the main display. My plants are pretty fried with just the 86-87. If I turn on the T5HOs, the tank can get to 90. I would think at that temp, a fish less tank would not have any ich after a day or two? Ideas?

Even with no fish in the tank and the heat at 90f, I still would not treat the tank for any less than 14 days. Dont quote me on this, but I believe in the free swimming stage, they last @72hrs before they have to find a host to continue their lifecycle but the entire lifecycle lasts somewhere in the 2-3+wk range (temp dependant). I forget the exact range for the length of time the encysted ich (living in the substrate) survives before before becoming free swimming. High temps speed up the lifecycle and will kill most strains of ich but there are reports of strains that can tolerate 90+f without any ill effects.

There is an excellent study posted somewhere on here of ich & how quickly its lifecycle can be increased in respect to specific temps but you would have to do some looking. I believe Mummaoftwo posted it. Just my opinion, but moving your fish elsewhere is only going to result in two tanks that will need to be treated instead of just one.

Thank you for the info. Good points and I will search out the thread!

One more question. All of my skinned fish (loaches, cats) are covered. On the flip side, my calvus, angel, and dungeon goby do not have a spot on them and haven't since this started. If I moved the heavily infected in the quarantine (don't mind using it to treat because I got it for free) and keep the fish that have not seen a spot in the display. Think it would be less stress on the ones able to defend the off the ich vs. the ones who couldn't.

My theory here is that because they have not gotten it yet (could be some in the gills) that they would have a better chance of making it threw the heat and salt treatment.

It will be your decision. Its likely your other fish are infected even if they dont have symptoms yet. If you want to try 2 different courses of treatment for fish (scaled vs scaleless fish), then different tanks would be a good idea. Just keep in mind that the scaleless fish may be stressed by the move/new tank when they are already in a weakened condition. Good luck!!!

I would leave your fish where they are and just continue to treat the tank with heat n salt. It takes a little while but eventually the Ich will leave

Back
Top Bottom