Ich, salt, and tiger barbs OH MY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Trying to add a bit of humor to a bad situation with the title.

I have been treating an outbreak of Ich in one of my main tanks for about two weeks now with the heat/salt treatment. At the start of the outbreak I had seven danios (one was on his way out) 5 tiger barbs and a BN pleco. Now I have two barbs, 5 danios and the BN NEVER developed any white spots, an amazing feat in itself. I lost my big tiger last night, and I was wondering if the rest of the inhabitants were getting better maybe it is something other than the paramecium that is killing them. I have tried to find information on the salinity tolerance of tiger barbs and have not been successful. Does anyone know if they are touchy about the amount of salt in the water? Could this be hurting them instead of helping them at this point? I don't think it has anything to do with the temp, the last two seem to be staying next to the heater, and my water params. are 0, 0, 10 with a pH of 6.8ish. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. The infection is not over, I know this, but what else should I do? I don't have a hydrometer so I don't know the true salinity of the tank, but I put in a 1/4 less salt than what the instructions called for to help treat disease.

Oh, and I am in the process of setting up my QT tank for the new tank mates I'll introduce in about a month after all the current little guys are looking healthy. It looks like I will be starting a brand new school of tigers first. :(

Back
Top Bottom