Ich- switching heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks to you guys I knew what to do when I saw the first spots appear on my new tetras (that'll teach me to not have a quarantine tank!). But the new guys have all died leaving my older heartier neons with ich. But my heater is either giving out - (it was a hand me down) and it's also getting cold here and the tank just can't get up past 80.

So my question is - is it safe to swap my heaters around and see if my other one can toast up my tank better? I'm worried that I'll introduce ich to my other tank if I switch heaters.

Great question. Do not introduce that heater to another tank. You shouldn't even use the same net or the same water changer without bleaching it when you're treating for illness.

Great question. Do not introduce that heater to another tank. You shouldn't even use the same net or the same water changer without bleaching it when you're treating for illness.

Agreed! I would go get another heater, preferably an adjustable one with a rating slightly higher than your tank volume.

Im in the same situation! Waiting for the UPS man to deliver my higher powered heater.

Is there any way to decontaminate the heater? I'm going to get a new one, but it still works fine at the regular temp and would still want to use it!

Back
Top Bottom