Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coach Pete

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My blue tang has ich, bad. I have some meds here but I also have an anemone and some live rock. Don't have a quarantine tank. Any advice? I have a cleaner shrimp but he doesn't appear to be interested in helping.

Is this the same 20 gallon tank you were having Nitrate problems with a few weeks ago?? If so, tangs are highly susceptible to ich when stressed, and it's going to be extremely stressed in a tiny 20 gallon tank, let alone with the high nitrates...... those guys belong in a much, MUCH larger tank (Minimum 180 gallon!!!).

The meds you have are likely copper based, which cannot be used in your tank. Once in there, they cannot be gotten rid of, as they permeate everything, including the silicone seals, and that tank can never be used to house inverts or corals again, hence the need for a fish-only QT tank.

Without a QT, you can try hypo-salinity, but you will need to rehome everything in your tank before doing this..... neither the shrimp, anemone, or anything else will survive.

Ok thanks. I had a 60 gallon a few years ago and it was so much easier. Can't seem to get this one going. I ran out to by a small QT tank. Doubt it will help but if it does, I'll try to resell the tang since my tank is too small for them. Wish my dealer had told me about this. Seems like I'm pretty limited in fish I can have with a 20 gal.

Thanks again

You will want to QT all the fish and treat with either hypo or copper. Also leave your display tank fallow for 6 weeks so that what is left in there can die off. It can, and likely will, come back otherwise. Read up in marine Ich so you totally understand the enemy and why all of this is really important to irradiate the parasite, not just "treat" the fish.

A 20g is really going to limit you. 75g is where you start having better selection options, IMO. I've got a 75 and already wish I had gone 120 or 180g.

Sites like liveaquaria.com have great info on tank requirements, compatibility, etc. for future fish purchases, don't hesitate to ask here. You will get solid advice, rather than advice from a LFS that often give questionable advice to make a buck.

Without a QT, you can try hypo-salinity, but you will need to rehome everything in your tank before doing this..... neither the shrimp, anemone, or anything else will survive.

That's an option too. Get a refractometer though. The hydrometers that most LFS sell are not always accurate. For hypo, it needs to be spot on.

Just by the nature of their water volume, larger tanks are easier to maintain. The smaller the tank, the quicker a small problem becomes a big one...... Larger volumes of water give you much more time to find & correct problems.

Good idea getting the QT, and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom