Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed the 1st sign of Ich on a few of my tetras today. Sadly, after all LFS had closed.

How long will the disease be treatable by meds?

I had read where, after a certain point, it will no longer respond to meds

Thanks

I noticed the 1st sign of Ich on a few of my tetras today. Sadly, after all LFS had closed.

How long will the disease be treatable by meds?

I had read where, after a certain point, it will no longer respond to meds

Thanks

If the symptoms first appeared today I think you should be fine if you get some medicine tomorrow you should be fine. As of right now you should slowly bring the temperature of the tank up to 85 and add some aquarium salt if you have any. About one tablespoon per gallon should be good. When you start medicating make sure you remove the carbon from your filter. Hope your fish get well soon :)

Be careful with meds I wouldn't use them I would just use the heat..and salt if u have salt safe fish. If that does not work then try meds...they are super stressful to the fish and i used one dose and it killed a fish so I went to just heat as I have salt sensitive fish treated for 10days and its all gone and happy fish now ...I wish I never used the med as it made my tank acidic also. So working on that and a mini cycle now because the acidic water likely killed some of my good bacteria
This is a good article
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Be careful with meds I wouldn't use them I would just use the heat..and salt if u have salt safe fish. If that does not work then try meds...they are super stressful to the fish and i used one dose and it killed a fish so I went to just heat as I have salt sensitive fish treated for 10days and its all gone and happy fish now ...I wish I never used the med as it made my tank acidic also. So working on that and a mini cycle now because the acidic water likely killed some of my good bacteria
This is a good article
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Thanks for sharing that article

Ya, this is good advice. It's not too hard to get rid of with increased temp and salt.

What temp do you usually have your tank at?

It usually reads around 72F

You don't use a heater?? That seems very low for tropical fish. We have ours set to about 80F.

What kind of Tetras? Cold can set off ICH as well in some cases as this can cause stress. Likely a combo of temp and water quality.

Research the temp your fish are healthiest at and go from there. Try to recreate their natural environment.

Back
Top Bottom