ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
A clown loach has about 7 spots. I have mollies and other community fish -55 gal. How do I treat this?

Best to treat the entire tank.

Slowly raise the temp to 86F. This will accelerate the ich life cycle and kill off free swimming ich nasties. Keep the treatment up for at least two weeks after the last spot has disappeared from your fish.

yes, do what JC said, i have used the heat method twice (usually ick happens when adding new fish) without any casualties or problems. Just keep the heat above 86 and keep it that way even for 2 weeks after all the ich looks like its gone, and you shouldn't have a problem...

Not sure if this is the best thing, but recently I have been increasing the temp to 86 for about a week every time i add knew fish and I haven't had an ich outbreak since ive done this. Just make sure you slowly increase the temp... only like 1 degree every couple of hours.

I haven't used the heat method myself but if you want to try and treat the outbreak with medication I recommend Super Ick Cure by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. This has proven deadly to ick and harmless to my fish.

I would also highly suggest getting a small tank (preferably 10 gallons) to use as a quarantine/hospital tank. Put new fish in there for three to four weeks before releasing them into your other tank(s). This will let you more easily observe new fish for sickness and treat them. Having a QT has helped me tremendously over the last couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom