Ick and Inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SgtMjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a challenge... My neons and showing signs of ick! Now I know what to do in a fish only aquarium, but this particular setup houses Amano, Cherry, Blue, and blue flower shrimp. The tank parameters are stable and healthy, I have raised the Temp to 80f, and cut back as much of the plants life as possible to allow me to vacuum the substrate every other day during my water changes... Is there a "secret" to curing this pesky bug? While not medicating the tank? Do I need to move all the fish to a hospital tank and let the bug die out, or, remove all the shrimp and medicate the tank? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I got rid of ich with just the heat as i couldn't medicate because of my fish and inverts, i just made sure to increase heat slowly added an extra airstone and pwc every 2 days including gravel vac. Good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had the same problem. I raised the temp to 89F and in a week all the ick was gone. Now I keep my tank at 86 and I have no problems at all. RCS, Corys, Betta

Thank you... will raise the temp, 89 seems pretty high but I will trust you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oops 86, my bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Raise it slowly. at 86F ich cannot reproduce, at 89 it dies. ich cysts can survive in the gravel for 2 weeks. so keep the temp up to at least 86 for at least 16 days. that should be enough to end the ich. it should take almost a week to get to 86 and almost a week to come back down. i leave my tank at 86 since i do not have a quarantine tank for my new fish and inverts.

Oh! A week to get to 86? I brought it up over two days... I hope i didn't cause more damage,(

Oh! A week to get to 86? I brought it up over two days... I hope i didn't cause more damage,(

Don't worry i raised my temp in two days as well ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom