Ick and Salt Dosing, How Much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Breeze

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 29 gal tank is two years old and I finally got my first case of ick. 2 0f my three clown loaches have dots on their tails and fins.

No one else shows any symptoms; rasboras, platys and angels.

This is a planted aquarium, Injected CO2, Fluval 205, T5 lighting.

How much salt would you recommend and have you used this successfully?

I am slowly turning the temp. up to 86 degrees

Any harm to the plants in the two weeks I do this?

Thanks so much.

Mr. Breeze

You can use just heat to sure if you wish. some plants can be sensitive (idk which ones though) and loaches can be too. A full dose is 1 flat tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. You can use a half dose if concerned.

Mumma, thanks for your response. I have read 2-3 Tbls. per 5 gallons up to 1 Cup per 30 gallons. This is why I am asking. Have you tried your portion for a cure?

What is your min. temp for the cure?

Thanks

Mr. Breeze said:
Mumma, thanks for your response. I have read 2-3 Tbls. per 5 gallons up to 1 Cup per 30 gallons. This is why I am asking. Have you tried your portion for a cure?

What is your min. temp for the cure?

Thanks

1 tablespoon per 5 gallons is the standard (on this forum) salt dosage. I haven't used it to treat ich myself but have used this amount to treat other ailments.
The two times I've had ich I've raised the heat to 86-88F and decreased 5-7 days after the last spot is seen.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom