ick help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirkland795

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
I have 4 angels, 1 blood parrot, 2 mollies, 3 guppies, 3 ghost catfish, 5 danios, 1 flash pleco, 2 apple snails, and 1 mystery snail. Several of the fish have ick. I've caught it pretty early so it's not advanced.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-5, temperature-78, pH-7.3
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
It's a 60 gallon that has been cycled and set up for over a year. I recently sold my discus fish and bought all the fish I listed above. I've had all my new fish for a month now with no signs of ick until today.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I use a marineland biowheel 400gph, and a canister that does 350gph
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I do once a week 50% water changes.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I have had them a month and they have been doing great.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
2 days ago I added drift wood to the tank that I use to use for my discus tank. I had an outbreak of ick with my discus about 5 months ago. The drift wood has been out of water and dry for 3-4 months now. Could the ick have been living on it even out of water?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I feed cobalt flakes, blood worms, and a carnivore frozen mix food. Algae wafers and lettuce for the snails.

How can I treat for this? I've used jungle ick guard before and it ended up killing several of my fish. I don't really now about adding salt to the tank with the snails in there. How high can I safely heat my tank with these fish in there?

I ended up moving all my snails to a quarantine tank because I don't know if the medication is safe for them. I used jungle ick guard. After 2 days I did a water change and treated again with jungle ick guard. Its been another two days and zero signs of ick. I'm going to do a full water change today and add my snails back in. All seems well.

Zero fish losses! I was really surprised since the last time this medication killed numerous fish. I think since I caught the ick very early on the fish were stronger to handle the medication.

Do you think the ick could have come from the drift wood? I had had all these fish for a month happy and ick free and then two days after adding drift wood there is ick.

Do you think the ick could have come from the drift wood? I had had all these fish for a month happy and ick free and then two days after adding drift wood there is ick.

Yes, makes sense. I think whatever method, you have to catch it and treat early.

I've thought I got ich from plants (well the water with plants). Was the driftwood dry and from a crate or from a tank / pond?

Well when I very first set this tank up over a year ago I had an ick outbreak after adding new fish. The drift wood was in the tank when this happened. I treated and the ick cleared up and I eventually removed the drift wood because I wanted a different look for the tank. So the drift wood has been dry and out of water for months but once was in an ick infected tank.

crank heat to 86 and leave it two weeks. Ich will die and not be able to reproduce. Works, safe for fish and snails, problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom